April 24 Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Armenian Remembrance Day is being celebrated in Armenia
- Concord Day is being celebrated in Niger
- Easter of Blajini is being celebrated in Moldova
- Eid ul-Fitar Holiday is being celebrated in Pakistan
- Eid-al-Fitr Holiday is being celebrated in Saudi Arabia
- Hari Raya Aidil Fitri is being celebrated in Brunei
- Loktantra Diwas is being celebrated in Nepal
- Ramadan Bairam Holiday is being celebrated in Sudan
Today in Astrology
- People born on this day are Taurus as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
- Aun Mehmood, TikTok Star, born in Pakistan.
On this day in 2022
- French President Emmanuel Macron wins re-election defeating National Rally's Marine Le Pen, first sitting French president re-elected in 20 years.
- American singer NE-YO at the age of 42 renews marriage vows with his wife Crystal Renay Smith at the age of 35 in an elaborate rooftop ceremony at Resorts World Las Vegas, Nevada; divorce in 2023.
- (Wilhelm) "Willi" Resetarits, Austrian singer and human rights activist, who died at 73.
On this day in 2021
- At least 82 COVID-19 pandemic patients die in a fire at Ibn Khatib hospital in Baghdad, Iraq, with 100 more injured.
- Joe Biden becomes the first US President to officially recognize killing of Armenians in the Ottoman empire during WWII as 'genocide'.
- John T. Ward Jr., American racehorse trainer (Kentucky Derby 2001 Monarchos; Breeders'Cup Distaff 1999 Beautiful Pleasure), who died at 75.
- Alber Elbaz, Fashion Designer.
- Christa Ludwig, German soprano (Vienna State Opera,1955-94; Metropolitan Opera,1959-93), who died at 93.
- Sarolta Monspart, Hungarian orienteering competitor (first non-Scandinavian female to win World C'ship 1972; 14 x national titles), who died at 76.
On this day in 2020
- Graeme Watson, Australian cricket all-rounder (5 Tests,6 wickets; 2 ODIs), who died at 75.
- Graeme Watson, Australian cricket all-rounder (5 Tests,1 x 50,6 wickets; 2 ODIs; Victoria CA, WA CA, NSW CA), who died from cancer at 75.
- Harold Reid, American country bass vocalist (Statler Brothers - "Bed Of Rose's"), who died of kidney failure at 80.
- Harold Reid, American singer (Statler Brothers), who died at 80.
- Jimmy Bowsher, Race Car Driver.
- Lynn Faulds Wood, Scottish television presenter (Watchdog), who died of a stroke at 72.
On this day in 2019
- Hubert Hahne, Race Car Driver.
- Dick Rivers [Hervé Forneri], French rock and roll singer and actor, who died at 74.
- Dick Rivers [Hervé Forneri], French rock and roll singer and actor, who died from cancer on his 74th birthday.
On this day in 2018
- Golden State Killer suspect Joseph DeAngelo arrested and charged with eight murders after being identified through genealogy websites.
- Ed Sheeran's "÷" is the best-selling album of 2017, selling 6.1 million copies, according to IFPI.
- Streaming music services overtake worldwide sales of CDs and vinyl for the first time according to IFPI.
- Suffragist Millicent Fawcett is the first woman to have a statue erected in Parliament Square, London, England.
- US President Donald Trump hosts his first state dinner for visiting French President Emmanuel Macron.
On this day in 2017
- Robert M. Pirsig, American author (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance), who died at 88.
- Don Gordon [Donald Guadagno], American actor (Bullitt, Papillon), who died at 90.
- Agustín Edwards, Chilean media tycoon (El Mercurio), who died at 89.
- Benjamin Barber, American political theorist (Jihad vs. McWorld), who died at 77.
On this day in 2016
- American soul singer Billy Paul died at his home in the Blackwood section of Gloucester Township, New Jersey, from pancreatic cancer at the age of 81. He was best known for his 1972 hit 'Me and Mrs Jones', which won a Grammy award and reached No.1 in the US..
- Papa Wemba, the King of Rumba Rock died aged 66 during a show. The musician collapsed on stage in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, during the FEMUA urban music festival. He was one of the most popular musicians of his time in Africa and played an important role in world music..
- Quenisha Qiana, Model, born in Netherlands.
- Papa Wemba [Wembadio Kikumba], Congolese singer, known as the "King of Rumba Rock", who died after collapsing on stage at 66.
- Papa Wemba, Congolese singer, who died at 66.
- Jan Henrik Kayser, Norwegian concert pianist (Grieg Prize,1978), who died at 83.
- Bill Wimble, Race Car Driver.
- Billy Paul [Paul Williams], American singer (Me & Mrs Jones), who died at 81.
- Billy Paul [Paul Williams], American soul singer (" Me & Mrs Jones"), who died of pancreatic cancer at 81.
- Tommy [Tamio] Kono, American weightlifter (Olympic gold 1952,60), who died at 85.
On this day in 2015
- Armenia commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide by the Ottoman Empire.
On this day in 2014
- Konstantin Orbelyan, Armenian pianist, jazz and classical composer, and orchestra leader (State Estrada (Pops) Orchestra), who died at 85.
- Shobha Nagi Reddy, Politician.
On this day in 2013
- 33 people are killed and 115 are injured after a magnitude 5.7 earthquake strikes Jalalabad, Afghanistan.
- Deadliest structural failure in history when 1,134, mostly garment workers killed and 2,500 injured after the Rana Plaza building collapses in Savar Upazila, Bangladesh.
- Actress and director Melissa Gilbert at the age of 48 weds actor Timothy Busfield at the age of 55 at the San Ysidro Ranch in Santa Barbara, California.
- Larry Felser, American sports columnist, who died at 80.