SaturdaySat, August 1st Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Emancipation Day is being celebrated in Barbados, Bermuda, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent And The Grenadines, Trinidad And Tobago, Turks And Caicos Islands
- Independence Day is being celebrated in Benin
- Liberation Army Day is being celebrated in China
- Parents' Day is being celebrated in Dr Congo
- People born on this day are Leo as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
On this day in 2023
On this day in 2022
- First grain ship leaves Ukrainian port of Odesa, in UN brokered deal, breaking months long Russian blockade, to help alleviate global shortage.
- TV SERIES
- Industry: Season 2 is released. With spots secured and pandemic lockdowns over, the young graduates are back in the office in London and face new management from the U.S. office.
- Hans Weilbächer, German soccer midfielder (1 cap West Germany; Eintracht Frankfurt e.V 241 games), who died at 88.
On this day in 2021
- Canada marks its first Emancipation Day (date slavery abolished in the British Empire in 1834).
- 394 migrants rescued from a stricken vessel by humanitarian NGO ships in Tunisian waters.
- The US passes the 35 million mark in COVID-19 pandemic cases with California becoming first state to record 4 million cases.
- David A. Gall, Canadian thoroughbred Hall of Fame jockey (US Champion Jockey by wins 1979,81; first to ride 8 winners on single US race card), who died at 79.
- Ian Thomson, English cricket fast bowler (5 Tests,9 wickets; Sussex), who died at 92.
- Edai, Rapper.
- Myanmar's military ruler Min Aung Hlaing names himself Prime Minister, pledges to hold elections by 2023.
- Marcell Jacobs becomes first Italian athlete to win the coveted 100m in 9.80 at the Tokyo Olympics.
- Venezuelan triple jumper Yulimar Rojas records a WR 15.67m to claim the women's gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics.
- Italian Gianmarco Tamberi and Mutaz Essa Barshim of Qatar avoid a jump-off by agreeing to share the long jump gold medal after tying on 2.37m at the Tokyo Olympic Games.
- Chinese diver Shi Tingmao completes women's 3m springboard/synchronized 3m springboard double at the Tokyo Olympics for second consecutive Games.
On this day in 2020
- Egypt tells Elon Musk its pyramids were not built by aliens, after Musk tweets in support of a conspiracy theory that they did.
- American country singer Luke Combs at the age of 30 weds Nicole Hocking at the age of 28 at home in Florida.
- Stan Mellor MBE, English National Hunt jockey and trainer (first jumps jockey to ride 1,000 winners; Champion Jockey 1960-62), who died at 83.
- Rodney H. Pardey, American poker player (2 x World Series of Poker C'ships; World Series of Poker Bracelets 1991,94), who died of stroke complications at 75.
- Wilford Brimley, American actor Our House, Cocoon), who died at 85.
- Rickey Dixon, American College Football Hall of Fame cornerback (Jim Thorpe Award 1987; Oklahoma Sooners; Cincinnati Bengals, LA Raiders), who died from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis at 53.
- Vitold Kreyer, Russian athlete (Olympic bronze, triple jump 1956,60) and coach (Soviet athletics team 1967–80; head Russian team 2000 Olympics), who died at 87.
On this day in 2019
- Kelly Craft confirmed by US Senate as US ambassador to the UN.
- [Donn Alan] DA Pennebaker, American documentary filmmaker (Don't Look Back), who died at 94.
- MOVIES: PG13
- Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw is released. Ever since hulking lawman Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson), a loyal agent of America's Diplomatic Security Service, and lawless outcast Shaw (Jason Statham), a former British military elite operative, first faced off in 2015's Furious 7, the duo have swapped smack talk and body blows as they've tried to take each other down. But when cyber-genetically enhanced anarchist Brixton (Idris Elba) gains control of an insidious bio-threat that could alter humanity forever - and bests a brilliant and fearless rogue MI6 agent (Vanessa Kirby), who just happens to be Shaw's sister - these two sworn enemies will have to partner up to bring down the only guy who might be badder than themselves. [Universal]
- GAMING: SWITCH
- Hamsterdam for Switch is released. Play as the hamster hero Pimm and harness the mightiest martial arts powers. Kick tail through district after district on a heart-pounding journey to take down the Vermin Gang, save Grandpa, and restore peace to Hamsterdam. The once peaceful town of Hamsterdam is in danger! The vile chinchilla Marlo and his Vermin Gang are wreaking havoc. Swing, flick, and strike your way through the streets of Hamsterdam. Experience the frantic action, flawlessly execute rhythm combos, and become one with the fabled Hamster-Fu.
- Solo: Islands of the Heart for Switch is released. Love is a universal feeling, but each of us experiences it in a different way. Solo – Islands of the Heart explores the theme of love in an introspective way, allowing players to identify and reflect on their own experiences. The world is divided into archipelagos, with each island representing a unique puzzle. Solving puzzles will award the player with a Sleeping Totem, awakening them to answer a question about love and relationships. As with love, most puzzles have no unique solution. Using boxes, each with different properties and behaviors, players can build their own paths to the Sleeping Totems on each island. Nature and contemplation are also a huge part of Solo: pull out your camera and capture the moment, play the guitar, feed the animals or just sit on a bench and think.
- Protesting Kenyan cancer survivors in Nairobi urge their government to declare a "nation disaster'in a country with only 35 oncologists for 40 million people.
On this day in 2018
- Swedish crown jewels stolen in heist from Strängnäs Cathedral, Stockholm.
- Rick Genest, Tattoo Artist.
- Larry Richardson, Race Car Driver.
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- No Date, No Signature is released. Forensic pathologist Dr. Nariman has a car accident with a motorcyclist and injures his 8-year-old son. He offers to take the child to a clinic nearby, but the father refuses his help and money. The next morning, in the hospital where he works, Dr. Nariman finds out that the little boy has been brought for an autopsy after a suspicious death. Dr. Nariman is facing a dilemma: is he responsible for the child's death due to the car accident or did the child die of food poisoning according to other doctors' diagnosis?
- MOVIES: R
- Nico,1988 is released. Nico,1988 follows the singer-songwriter, approaching 50, leading a solitary existence in Manchester, far from her 60s glam days as a Warhol superstar and celebrated vocalist for cult band The Velvet Underground. Her life and career on the fringes, Nico’s new manager Richard convinces her to hit the road again and tour Europe to promote her latest album. Struggling with her demons and the consequences of a muddled life, she longs to rebuild a relationship with her son, whose custody she lost long ago. A brave and uncompromising musician, Nico’s story is the story of a rebirth: of an artist, a mother, and the woman behind the icon.
- TV SERIES
- The Sinner: Season 2 is released. Detective Harry Ambrose (Bill Pullman) returns to his New York state hometown to consult on a case of a 11-year-old accused of murdering his parents, but with no known motive. His investigations lead to secrets that some will do anything to keep and a mysterious woman named Vera (Carrie Coon), who may be the key to everything.
- GAMING: PC
- Yakuza 0 for PC is released. Tokyo 1988. Getting rich is easy, the women are beautiful, and everyone wants in on the action. It's time to become Yakuza.The glitz, glamour, and unbridled decadence of the 80s are back in Yakuza 0! Fight like hell through Tokyo and Osaka with protagonist Kazuma Kiryu and series regular Goro Majima. Play as Kazuma Kiryu and discover how he finds himself in a world of trouble when a simple debt collection goes wrong and his mark winds up murdered. Then, step into the silver-toed shoes of Goro Majima and explore his "normal"life as the proprietor of a cabaret club.Switch between three different fighting styles instantaneously and beat up all manner of goons, thugs, hoodlums, and lowlifes. Take combat up a notch by using environmental objects such as bicycles, sign posts, and car doors for bone-crunching combos and savage take-downs.Fighting is not the only way to kill time in 1988's Japan: from discos and hostess clubs to classic SEGA arcades, there are tons of distractions to pursue in the richly detailed, neon-lit world.
On this day in 2017
- Two Venezuelan opposition leaders, Leopoldo López and Antonio Ledezma re-arrested, revoking their house arrest.
- Bomb blast at Jawadia Shia mosque in Herat, Afghanistan kills about 30.
- Christopher A. Wray confirmed at F.B.I. Director by US Senate.
- Bud Moore, Race Car Driver.
- Goldy McJohn, [John Goadsby] Canadian rock organist (Steppenwolf - "Born To Be Wild" ; "Magic Carpet Ride"), who died at 72.
- TV SERIES
- Manhunt (2017): Season 1 is released. The eight-part season subtitled Unabomber focuses on FBI Agent and criminal profiler Jim "Fitz"Fitzgerald (Sam Worthington) as he tracks and eventually captures the Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski (Paul Bettany) in 1996.
- GAMING: PC
- Redeemer for PC is released. REDEEMER is a intense Brawler where you will punch, hack and blast your way through enemies using fists, hammers, fire arms and even the environment.
- Tacoma for PC is released. Tacoma is a narrative-driven adventure set aboard a high-tech space station in the year 2088. Explore every detail of how the station’s crew lived and worked, finding clues that add up to a gripping story of trust, fear, and resolve in the face of disaster.
- Slime Rancher for PC is released. Slime Rancher is the tale of Beatrix LeBeau, a plucky, young rancher who sets out for a life a thousand light years away from Earth on the ‘Far, Far Range’ where she tries her hand at making a living wrangling slimes.
- GAMING: PLAYSTATION 4
- Patapon for PlayStation 4 is released. Set among a variety of colorful 2D backgrounds, Patapon unfolds through more than 30 missions with more than 20 different environments, where players are tasked with outfitting the Patapon army, collecting resources, and using strategy to grow the tribe into a devastating fighting force. Incorporating various button-timed drumbeats in real-time to control the Patapons, players will strategically traverse through each environment, battling enemies each step of the way. The game presents a variety of warrior types such as archers, infantry, cavalry, and more that players can unlock, along with a wide selection of more than 100 weapon and shield upgrades, allowing players to customize their forces throughout the funky adventure.
- The Long Dark for PlayStation 4 is released. The Long Dark is a thoughtful, exploration-survival experience that challenges solo players to think for themselves as they explore an expansive frozen wilderness. Monitor your Condition, search for life-saving supplies, and master survival skills like fire-building, maintaining your gear, hunting, fishing, and landmark-based navigation. There are no zombies -- only you, the cold, and everything Mother Nature can throw at you. The hit Steam Early Access sandbox becomes the first survival game available on Xbox One!
- Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun for PlayStation 4 is released. The tactical game with stealth elements Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun is a cooperative endeavor of Daedalic Entertainment and Mimimi Productions. The game is a special take on the genre: it takes place during the Edo-Era of Japan in 1615. Within a playtime of roughly 25 hours,5 characters will face challenging missions, each protagonist with their own special field of expertise. Only if you know the positive and negative qualities of your characters and play tactically and with finesse, will you master the challenges ahead.
- CastleStorm: Virtual Reality for PlayStation 4 is released. Catapult yourself onto the battlefield like never before in CastleStorm VR, a new take on the tower-defense action-RPG phenomenon. Pit knights, soldiers, archers and even griffins against formidable foes in full VR castle vs. castle combat. See, feel and hear every arrow, battle cry and ballista shot on the battlefield, and get medieval in a whole new way with CastleStorm VR. [Playstation.com]
- Dino Frontier for PlayStation 4 is released. Build and manage a frontier settlement in a world where the wild west and jurassic collide. Dino Frontier is a virtual reality simulation where players assume the role of Big Mayor. They must carefully balance resources while growing their town and surviving bandit attacks.
On this day in 2016
- Anthrax outbreak in Yamalo-Nenets, Siberia kills one and infects 8 others, also kills 2,300 reindeer, global warming blamed.
- Franciszek Macharski, Polish Cardinal, Archbishop of Krakow (1978-2005), who died at 87.
- Queen Anne of Romania [Princess Anne of Bourbon-Parma], wife of Michael I King of Romania, who died at 92.
- GAMING: PC
- Slain: Back from Hell for PC is released. Slain: Back from Hell. A heavy metal inspired arcade combat with puzzle elements and gore galore. Stunning visuals and true old school gameplay accompanied by the most metal soundtrack you've ever heard.
On this day in 2015
- Actor Declan Donnelly weds Ali Astall at St Michael's Roman Catholic Church in Elswick, Tyne and Wear.
- Anatoly Kremer, Russian composer and conductor (Eksperiment), who died at 82.
On this day in 2014
- Indiana Pacers NBA super-star Paul George suffers a gruesome compound fracture of his lower right leg in a Team USA scrimmage.
- USA and UN announce a 72 hour ceasefire between Israel and Palestine, though it quickly breaks down.
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- The Strange Little Cat is released. A seemingly unspectacular family get-together becomes an exciting choreography of the everyday.
- The Almost Man is released. Henrik is 35, but he still parties with his high-school buddies like he is in his 20s. His mother cares for him like he's still a child, and he's in a relationship that's based on goofing around. Now, his girlfriend Tone is pregnant and Henrik has taken a serious job, moved into a prefab duplex, and he’s trying to calm down the partying and start behaving like a father-to-be. But as he feels the pressure to mature, and to do it quickly, Henrik’s frustrations surface in unforeseen—and hilariously inappropriate—ways. [Big World Pictures]
- Rich Hill is released. Rich Hill intimately chronicles the turbulent lives of three boys living in an impoverished Midwestern town and the fragile family bonds that sustain them.
- Moebius is released. The story of a wife, a father and a son and the violent, psycho-sexual consequences that occur when the wife seeks revenge against her husband for his infidelity.
- Finding Fela! is released. Finding Fela tells the story of Fela Anikulapo Kuti’s life, his music, his social and political importance. He created a new musical movement, Afrobeat, using that forum to express his revolutionary political opinions against the dictatorial Nigerian government of the 1970s and 1980s. His influence helped bring a change towards democracy in Nigeria and promoted Pan Africanist politics to the world. The power and potency of Fela’s message is completely current today and is expressed in the political movements of oppressed people, embracing Fela’s music and message in their struggle for freedom.
- Cabin Fever: Patient Zero is released. When a group of friends on the perfect vacation in the Caribbean head ashore to explore a remote island, their ultimate bachelor weekend devolves into their worst nightmare. After an ill-fated swim in contaminated water, they stumble upon a seemingly abandoned research facility where a deadly, flesh-eating virus has been unleashed.
- MOVIES: PG13
- Get On Up is released. A chronicle of James Brown's rise from extreme poverty to become one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century.
- Guardians of the Galaxy is released. Brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe. To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits — Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon, Groot, a tree-like humanoid, the deadly and enigmatic Gamora and the revenge-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when Peter discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must do his best to rally his ragtag rivals for a last, desperate stand — with the galaxy’s fate in the balance.
- Louder Than Words is released. John (David Duchovny) and Brenda (Hope Davis) try to put their life together after the tragic death of their young daughter, Maria (Olivia Steele-Falconer). As they deal with their numbing grief, they discover a way to honor their daughter’s wish for health and well-being for all children. With the help of their community, led by good friend Bruce (Timothy Hutton), they establish a children’s hospital called the Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital, a state of the art health facility that brings the whole family into the healing process. Instead of being torn apart by their tragedy, John and Brenda celebrate their very special daughter and help thousands of children and their families. [Arc Entertainment]
- MOVIES: R
- Calvary is released. Father James (Brendan Gleeson) is a good priest who is faced with sinister and troubling circumstances brought about by a mysterious member of his parish. Although he continues to comfort his own fragile daughter (Kely Reilly) and reach out to help members of his church with their various scurrilous moral—and often comic—problems, he feels sinister forces closing in, and begins to wonder if he will have the courage to face his own personal Calvary.
- Behaving Badly is released. Rick Stevens (Nat Wolff) has a crush on Nina Pennington (Selena Gomez). They form a friendship and embark on a rock n' roll journey together while Nina deals with her overbearing boyfriend, Kevin.
- Child of God is released. Louis Ballard's life is a disastrous attempt to exist outside the social order. Successively deprived of parents and homes and with few other ties, Ballard, a violent man, descends literally and figuratively to the level of a cave dweller as he falls deeper into crime and degradation.
- TV SERIES
- The Killing: Season 4 is released. The final season of the police drama finds Linden (Mireille Enos) and Holder (Joel Kinnaman) still recovering from what happened at the end of season three as they begin investigating the murder of family connected to a military academy.
On this day in 2013
- Robert Mugabe continues to maintain power after winning 142 out of 210 seats in the Zimbabwean election.
- TV SERIES
- Our Nixon is released. The documentary film by Penny Lane and Brian L. Frye used some of the 500 reels of home movies filmed by Nixon's chief of staff H.R. Haldeman, domestic-affairs advisor John Ehrlichman, and appointments secretary Dwight Chapin, as well as interviews, news footage, and White House tapes.
- GAMING: PC
- Take On Mars for PC is released. Take On Mars places you in the seat of a Rover Operator, allowing you to control the various, fully simulated mobile Rovers and stationary Landers. With this scientific arsenal at your disposal, you will work your way through the numerous Science Missions in each location, unlocking the secrets of Mars' distant past.
- GAMING: WII U
- Cloudberry Kingdom for Wii U is released. Cloudberry Kingdom has players jump and dodge their way through billions of levels on a last ditch mission to conquer infinity.
- Dick Kazmaier, American College Football Hall of Fame halfback (Heisman Trophy 1951; Unanimous All-American 1951; Princeton), who died from heart and lung disease at 82.