MondayMon, August 17th Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Independence Day is being celebrated in Indonesia
- People born on this day are Leo as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
On this day in 2023
On this day in 2022
- China issues its highest red alert heat warning for at least 138 cities and counties amid the country's longest heatwave since records began (64 days).
- Josephine Tewson, British actress (Keeping Up Appearances; Last Of The Summer Wine,2003-10), who died at 91.
- MOVIES: TV14
- Look Both Ways is released. On the night of her college graduation, Natalie's (Lili Reinhart) life diverges into parallel realities. In one life, she becomes pregnant and must navigate motherhood as a young adult in her hometown and in the other she moves to LA to pursue her career. In both journeys, Natalie experiences life-changing love, pursues her dream career as an artist, and rediscovers herself.
- GAMING: SWITCH
- Kirby's Dream Buffet for Switch is released. Snack your way to victory in a jam-packed race to claim a mountain of strawberries in Kirby's Dream Buffet for Nintendo Switch. Roll down delicious courses against another player locally or versus a whole gang of colourful, hungry Kirbys online. Snack on strawberries to increase your size. The bigger you are, the faster you'll roll downhill. The most well-rounded (and heaviest) Kirby wins the race!Want to turn the tables on your opponents? Grab Food Boxes to unlock delicious Copy Food abilities.
On this day in 2021
- One in five US hospital I.C.U.s at or over 95% capacity due to Delta surge of COVID-19 pandemic, with 1,800 children hospitalized.
- GAMING: PC
- Humankind for PC is released. HUMANKIND is a Historical Strategy game where YOU will re-write the entire narrative of humankind – a convergence of culture, history, and values that allows you to create a civilization that is as unique as you are. HOW FAR WILL YOU PUSH HUMANKIND?
- GAMING: SWITCH
- Space Invaders: Invincible Collection for Switch is released. Space Invaders is a founding block of video game history that filled the arcades. It is said that the game made 100 Yen coins scarce and defined the visuals and mechanics in the first decade of video games. Until this day, Space Invaders remains highly successful in the gaming industry as well as it is highly prominent in pop culture. Now the most complete collection on cart ever, the Space Invaders Invincible Collection, is heading to the West. It combines all titles from the Japanese standard and special releases on one cartridge, the limited Western collection even has the console port of the game Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders on cartridge, a unique title which was only available as a download code in the Japanese version!
- GAMING: XBOX SERIES X
- Greak: Memories of Azur for Xbox Series X is released. Greak: Memories of Azur is a side scrolling single-player game with hand-drawn animations. You will take the role of three siblings: Greak, Adara and Raydel to guide them through the lands of Azur. Alternate control between them and use their unique abilities to escape from the Urlag invasion.
On this day in 2020
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is the 1st US college to send students home and convert to online classes after 135 COVID-19 pandemic cases detected.
- Savvas Theodoridis, Greek soccer goalkeeper (12 caps; Olympiacos), who died at 85.
- Mario De Araujo Cabral, Race Car Driver.
- Kobe Nunez, YouTube Star.
On this day in 2019
- Huge wildfires begin on Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands prompting evacuation of 9,000 people.
- Suicide bombing at a wedding in Kabul, Afghanistan, kills 63, with over 200 injured. The Islamic State claims responsibility.
- Tool's 'Fear Inoculum' entered the US Hot 100 at No. 93, becoming the longest song ever to hit that chart. Running at 10:22, it outran David Bowie's 'Blackstar, ' which clocks in at 9:57. 'Fear Inoculum' dropped off the chart the following week..
- Cove Ferris, Instagram Star, born in United States.
- Landmark power-sharing deal signed by military and civilian leaders celebrated in Khartoum, Sudan, with transitional government to take over Sept 1.
On this day in 2018
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- Juliet, Naked is released. Annie (Rose Byrne) is stuck in a long-term relationship with Duncan (Chris O'Dowd) - an obsessive fan of obscure rocker Tucker Crowe (Ethan Hawke). When the acoustic demo of Tucker's hit record from 25 years ago surfaces, its release leads to a life-changing encounter with the elusive rocker himself.
- A Whale of a Tale is released. Can a proud 400-year-old whaling tradition survive a tsunami of modern animal-rights activism and colliding forces of globalism vs. localism? A Whale of a Tale reveals the complex story behind the ongoing debate. Through the point-of-view of a wide range of characters including fishermen, international activists and American journalist (and longtime Japanese resident), this powerful documentary unearths a deep divide in eastern and western thought about nature and wildlife, raising questions about cultural sensitivity in the face of global activism.
- Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich is released. When Edgar decides to sell a nefarious looking puppet at a convention, all hell breaks loose when the puppets come alive and go on a killing spree.
- Memoir of War is released. It’s 1944 Nazi-occupied France, and Marguerite (Mélanie Thierry) is an active Resistance member along with husband Robert Antelme and a band of fellow subversives. When Antelme is deported to Dachau by the Gestapo, she becomes friendly with French Nazi collaborator Rabier (Benoît Magimel) to learn of her husband’s whereabouts. But as the months wear on with no news of her husband, Marguerite must begin the process of confronting the unimaginable. [Music Box Films]
- Minding the Gap is released. Welcome to Rockford, Illinois, in the heart of Rust-Belt America, home to debut filmmaker Bing Liu. With over 12 years of footage, Bing discovers connections between two of his skateboarder friends' volatile upbringings and the complexities of modern-day masculinity. As the film unfolds, Bing captures 23-year-old Zack’s tumultuous relationship with his girlfriend deteriorate after the birth of their son and 17-year-old Keire struggling with his racial identity as he faces new responsibilities following the death of his father. While navigating a difficult relationship between his camera and his friends, Bing weaves a story of generational forgiveness while exploring the precarious gap between childhood and adulthood.
- MOVIES: NR
- Songwriter is released. Songwriter is an intimate and personal look into the writing process of one of the world’s leading artists – Ed Sheeran. Songwriter details the creation of Ed’s third studio album Divide and gives an authentic insight into Ed’s life through never before seen home videos. Witness firsthand the creativity, from the very first chord to the finishing touch – as the sounds become the songs. [Abramorama]
- Blaze is released. Blaze is inspired by the life of Blaze Foley (Ben Dickey), the unsung songwriting legend of the Texas outlaw music movement that spawned the likes of Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson. The film weaves together three different periods of time, braiding re-imagined versions of Blaze’s past, present and future. The different strands explore his love affair with Sybil Rosen; his last, dark night on earth; and the impact of his songs and his death had on his fans, friends, and foes. The braided storyline terminates in a bittersweet ending that acknowledges Blaze’s profound highs and lows, as well as the impressions he made on the people who shared his journey. [Sundance Selects]
- MOVIES: PG13
- Alpha is released. Europe,20,000 years ago. While on his first hunt with his tribe’s most elite group, a young man is injured and left for dead. Awakening to find himself broken and alone -- he must learn to survive and navigate the harsh and unforgiving wilderness. Reluctantly taming a lone wolf abandoned by its pack, the pair learn to rely on each other and become unlikely allies, enduring countless dangers and overwhelming odds in order to find their way home before the deadly winter arrives.
- Down a Dark Hall is released. Kit (AnnaSophia Robb), a difficult young girl, is sent to the mysterious Blackwood Boarding School when her heated temper becomes too much for her mother to handle. Once she arrives at Blackwood, Kit encounters eccentric headmistress Madame Duret (Uma Thurman) and meets the school's only other students, four young women also headed down a troubled path. While exploring the labyrinthine corridors of the school, Kit and her classmates discover that Blackwood Manor hides an age-old secret rooted in the paranormal.
- MOVIES: R
- We the Animals is released. Us three. Us brothers. Us kings, inseparable. Three boys tear through their childhood, in the midst of their young parents’ volatile love that makes and unmakes the family many times over. While Manny and Joel grow into versions of their loving and unpredictable father, Ma seeks to shelter her youngest, Jonah, in the cocoon of home. More sensitive and conscious than his older siblings, Jonah increasingly embraces an imagined world all his own.
- The Wife is released. After nearly forty years of marriage, Joan and Joe Castleman (Glenn Close and Jonathan Pryce) are complements. Where Joe is casual, Joan is elegant. Where Joe is vain, Joan is self-effacing. And where Joe enjoys his very public role as Great American Novelist, Joan pours her considerable intellect, grace, charm, and diplomacy into the private role of Great Man’s Wife. Joe is about to be awarded the Nobel Prize for his acclaimed and prolific body of work. Joe’s literary star has blazed since he and Joan first met in the late 1950. The Wife interweaves the story of the couple’s youthful passion and ambition with a portrait of a marriage, thirty-plus years later—a lifetime’s shared compromises, secrets, betrayals, and mutual love. [Sony Pictures Classics]
- Mile 22 is released. James Silva (Mark Wahlberg) is an operative of the CIA's most highly-prized and least-understood unit. Aided by a top-secret tactical command team, Silva must retrieve and transport an asset who holds life-threatening information to Mile 22 for extraction before the enemy closes in.
- MOVIES: TV14
- To All the Boys I've Loved Before is released. What if all the crushes you ever had, found out how you felt about them…all at once? Lara Jean Song Covey's love life goes from imaginary to out of control when the love letters for every boy she’s ever loved - five in all - are mysteriously mailed out. [Netflix]
- TV SERIES
- Disenchantment: Season 1 is released. The Matt Groening animated comedy follows the adventures of hard-drinking Princess Bean (voiced by Abbi Jacobson), her elf Elfo (voiced by Nat Faxon), and her personal demon Luci (voiced by Eric Andre).
- Thank You for Today was released by Death Cab for Cutie. The ninth full-length studio release for the indie rock band was produced by Rich Costey.
- The Diet was released by Cullen Omori. The second full-length solo release for the ex-Smith Westerns frontman was recorded with Taylor Locke in Los Angeles.
- The Long Walk was released by Uniform. Ben Greenberg and Michael Berdan add drummer Greg Foxfor for the band's third full-length release.
- Mulberry Violence was released by Trevor Powers. This is the debut full-length release for the Youth Lagoon artist under his real name.
- Sweetener was released by Ariana Grande. The fourth full-length studio release for the pop singer features guest appearances from Nicki Minaj, Missy Elliott and Pharrell Williams.
- Tangerine Reef was released by Animal Collective. The 11th full-length studio release for the experimental pop band is an audiovisual album developed in collaboration with Coral Morphologic and is its first without Panda Bear.
- Slow Air was released by Still Corners. The fourth full-length release for the synthpop duo of Greg Hughes and Tessa Murray was written and recorded in just three months.
- Smote Reverser was released by Oh Sees. This is the second full-length release for the Thee Oh Sees under its shortened name.
- A Broke Moon Rises was released by Papa M. The latest solo release for David Pajo as Papa M features just acoustic guitars and drums.
- Body was released by The Necks. The 20th full-length release for the Australian trio of Chris Abrahams, Lloyd Swanton, and Tony Buck consists of a single nearly 57-minute-long piece.
- Be the Cowboy was released by Mitski. The fifth full-length release for the New York City indie rock artist was recorded with producer Patrick Hyland.
- GAMING: PC
- Not Tonight for PC is released. Person of European Heritage #112: Welcome to Relocation Block B, your new home. Your designated role is 'Bouncer'. Work hard, stay out of trouble, and we might let you stay in the UK.
- GAMING: SWITCH
- Detective Gallo for Switch is released. Detective Gallo is a point-and-click comic-noir adventure that is entirely hand-illustrated and hand-animated, and whose protagonist is a feathered and grumpy private eye.
On this day in 2017
- Collision of two neutron stars witnessed for the first time first picked up by US-based Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (Ligo).
- Anti-immigrant One Nation party leader Pauline Hansen is widely criticized for wearing a burqa into the Australian parliament.
- On This Day helps launch Borneo Dictionary, an online not for profit dictionary of indigenous Borneo languages with translations in English and Bahasa Malaysia.
- Terror attack on Las Ramblas in Barcelona, Spain as van rams into crowds killing 16, injuring 120.
- Three Hong Kong activists, Jason Wong, Nathan Law and Alex Chow jailed for unlawful assembly.
- GAMING: 3DS
- Chicken Wiggle for 3DS is released. A brand new world of platforming and adventure!The stars of Chicken Wiggle are an improbable duo: a young chicken and his best buddy a wiggly worm nestled in his backpack! Together, they team up for adventure to jump, peck, and worm-grapple across a myriad of perplexing platforming levels full of fun gadgets, tricky hazards, and sneaky foes determined to rescue their friends from the wicked witch in her sky towers.But wait, there's more! Aspiring game designers and playful doodlers alike can spend hours of fun hatching their own levels with the user-friendly level creator included with the game. You can even choose different gameplay rules, art themes, and provide custom hints, tips, and search tags. Once you're ready, it's easy to share your creations on-line with other Chicken Wiggle players via the community portal. Now, anyone can be a game designer on the go!Players seeking more levels to play after completing Chicken Wiggle's main story mode will find a wealth of unique levels to download, play, and rate for free! Level categories include Atooi official, popular, latest, or simply enter your own search tags or a specific level ID to locate a friend's level.
On this day in 2016
- Flood waters recede in Louisiana leaving 13 dead and damaging 4,000 homes.
- Arthur Hiller, Canadian director (Love Story), who died at 92.
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- When Two Worlds Collide is released. In this tense and immersive tour de force, audiences are taken directly into the line of fire between powerful, opposing Peruvian leaders who will stop at nothing to keep their respective goals intact. On the one side is President Alan Garcia, who, eager to enter the world stage, begins aggressively extracting oil, minerals, and gas from untouched indigenous Amazonian land. He is quickly met with fierce opposition from indigenous leader Alberto Pizango, whose impassioned speeches against Garcia’s destructive actions prove a powerful rallying cry to throngs of his supporters. When Garcia continues to ignore their pleas, a tense war of words erupts into deadly violence.
- German pair Laura Ludwig & Kira Walkenhorst upsets Brazilian hometown favourites Ágatha Bednarczuk & Bárbara Seixas 21–18,21–14 to win the Olympic women's beach volleyball gold in Rio de Janeiro.
- Jamaican sprinter Elaine Thompson wins 200m gold medal in 21.78; wraps up 100/200m Rio de Janeiro Olympics double.
- Kenyan runner Conseslus Kipruto records an Olympic record 8:03.28 to win the men's 3,000m steeplechase gold medal at the Rio de Janeiro Games.
On this day in 2015
- Bomb blast in Bangkok at Erawan Shrine kills at least 19, injures over 100.
- Discovery of 7,000 year old mass grave in Schöneck-Kilianstädten, Central Germany, published in PNAS Journal. 26 bodies bear evidence of violent conflict.
- World's first flower could be underwater plant Montsechia Vidalii claim US botanists (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences).
- 2012 Olympic 1500m champion from Turkey Asli Cakir Alptekin is stripped of her gold medal for doping by the IAAF.
- Lincoln Hoellein, YouTube Star, born in Logan, UT.
- Irish "Boyzone" singer Ronan Keating at the age of 38 weds Australian television producer Storm Uechtritz at the age of 33 in East Lothian, Scotland.
- Boyzone lead singer Ronan Keating at the age of 38 weds model Storm Uechtritz in East Lothian, Scotland.
- Arsen Dedic, Croatian singer-songwriter and poet, who died at 77.
- Yvonne Craig, American actress (Batgirl), who died at 78.
On this day in 2014
- LPGA Championship Women's Golf, Monroe GC: Defending champion Inbee Park of South Korea beats runner-up Brittany Lincicome on 1st hole of a sudden-death playoff for her 5th major title.
On this day in 2013
- 15 civilians are killed by a Syrian warplane attack in Aleppo.
- 14th Athletics World Championships: Usain Bolt wins 200m.
- 18 people are killed in conflict between Boko Harem and Nigerian military.
- John Hollander, American poet and literary critic, who died at 83.