December 22 Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- National Unity Day is being celebrated in Zimbabwe
- Winter Solstice is being celebrated in Macau
Today in Astrology
- People born on this day are Capricorn as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
- Janet Offei, TikTok Star, born in Ghana.
On this day in 2022
- Major winter storm across the US causes widespread disruption, prompting states of emergency to be issued in Wisconsin and New York.
- Anton Tkác, Slovak track cyclist (Olympic gold Czechoslovakia men's match sprint 1976; World C'ship gold 1974,78), who died at 71.
- Big Scarr, Rapper.
On this day in 2021
- American singer, songwriter, record producer, and composer Thom Bell died aged 79. He was known as one of the creators of Philadelphia soul in the 1970s. He found success as a producer and songwriter for the Delfonics, Stylistics, and Spinners..
- Bob Keselowski, American auto racer (ARCA Hooters SuperCar Series 1989) and team owner (K Automotive Racing), who died from cancer at 70.
On this day in 2020
- British guitarist Robin Le Mesurier died at the age of 68. He was known for his long collaborations with Rod Stewart and Johnny Hallyday, as well as for the wide-ranging nature of his musical performance, including membership of such bands as The Wombles. In September 2015, Le Mesurier joined Rod Stewart and Rolling Stone Ron Wood for the Faces reunion..
- Argentine soccer superstar Lionel Messi scores his 644th goal for FC Barcelona during 3-0 win over Real Valladolid to break Pele's record for most goals for one club; Pele,643 goals for Santos 1956-74.
- Stella Tennant, Model.
On this day in 2019
- New Orleans wide receiver Michael Thomas sets NFL record for most catches in a season with his 144th as Saints beat Tennessee 38-28; breaks 17-year old record held by Marvin Harrison (143).
- Tony Britton, English actor (The Day of the Jackal), who died at 95.
- Fritz Künzli, Swiss soccer striker (44 caps; FC Zürich, FC Winterthur, FC Lausanne-Sport), who died from Alzheimer's disease at 73.
On this day in 2018
- Tsunami hits Indonesia's Sunda Strait killing over 400 after part of Anak Krakatau volcano slips into the sea.
- Tsunami hits Indonesia's Sunda Strait killing over 400 after part of the Anak Krakatoa volcano slips into the sea.
- Partial shutdown of US federal government begins.
- Roberto Suazo Córdova, President of Honduras (1982-86), who died at 91.
- Roberto Suazo Cordova, World Leader.
- Paddy Ashdown, British MP, leader of Liberal Democrats (1988-1999), who died of bladder cancer at 77.
- Paddy Ashdown, Politician.
- Herman Sikumbang, Guitarist.
On this day in 2017
- UN Security Council votes 15 to 0 for additional sanctions on North Korea, including measures to slash the country's petrol imports by up to 90%.
On this day in 2016
- Ebola vaccine VSV-EBOV is found to be 70-100% effective in a study published in The Lancet, becoming the world's first proven vaccine against Ebola.
- American guitarist, vocalist, and songwriter Leslie West died age 75 after suffering a heart attack in his home near Daytona, Florida. He was a founding member and co-lead vocalist of the hard rock band Mountain that formed on Long Island, New York in 1969 and are best known for their cowbell-tinged song "Mississippi Queen", as well as the heavily sampled song "Long Red"and their performance at the Woodstock Festival in 1969. Mountain is one of many bands to be commonly credited as having influenced the development of heavy metal music in the 1970s. In 2011, due to complications from diabetes, West's right leg had to be amputated..
- Bill Price, British audio engineer (Tom Jones; Wings: Sparks; Elton John), and record producer (The Clash; Sex Pistols; Waterboys), who died of cancer at 72.
- Franca Sozzani, Journalist.
- Margaret Pereira, English forensic scientist (Nicholls and Pereira method), who died at 88.
- Miruts Yifter 'Yifter the Shifter', Ethiopian runner (Olympic golds 1980), who died at 72.
On this day in 2015
- Dwayne Tatman, Race Car Driver.
- Carson Van Osten, American musician and comic strip writer (Disney), who died at 70.
On this day in 2014
- Beyonce's politically charged visual album Lemonade was the music critics' favourite album of the year. The record, which tackles themes of black empowerment and female identity, topped a "poll of polls" compiled by the BBC. It beat David Bowie'selegiac swansong Blackstar, which was released two days before his death in January..
- Christine Cavanaugh, Voice Actress.
- Joe Cocker, English rock musician (With a Little Help from My Friends), who died of lung cancer at 70.
- (John) "Joe" Cocker, English rock vocalist (" With A Little Help From My Friends" ; "Cry Me A River" ; "You Are So Beautiful"), who died of lung cancer at 70.
On this day in 2013
- Actress Lacey Chabert at the age of 31 weds longtime boyfriend David Nehdar in Los Angeles, California.
- Ed Herrmann, American baseball player, who died from prostate cancer at 67.