December 23 Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
Today in Astrology
- People born on this day are Capricorn as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
- Westcol, Twitch Star, born in Colombia.
On this day in 2022
- Washington Capitals center Alex Ovechkin scores two goals to move past Gordie Howe on most NHL career goals list in 4-1 win over visiting Winnipeg Jets.
- Philippe Streiff, Race Car Driver.
- Colin Jillings, New Zealand thoroughbred horse trainer (W. S. Cox Plate 1993 The Phantom Chance; 4 x Auckland Cup winners; 5 x NZ Derby winners), who died at 91.
- George Cohen, Rugby Player.
On this day in 2021
- Bob McCammon, Canadian ice hockey coach (Philadelphia Fllyers 1978-84, Vancouver Canucks 1987-91), who died at 80.
On this day in 2020
- John Edrich, Cricket Player.
- John Edrich, English cricket batsman (77 Tests,12 x 100. 24 x 50, HS 310no; Norfolk CCC, Surrey CCC), who died at 83.
- Leslie West [Weinstein], American rock guitarist (Mountain - "Mississippi Queen" ; "Theme for an Imaginary Western"), who died of cardiac arrest at 75.
- Rika Zarai, World Music Singer.
On this day in 2019
- Mariah Carey was being sued by a former nanny who was seeking compensation for "emotional distress"after working for the singer. Maria Burgues filed the lawsuit claiming that she was fired after complaining about her working conditions. Burgues alleged that she was paid $25 (£19) an hour to look after Carey’s children and had to travel with them when the singer went on tour – but wasn’t paid for the extra work. She also claimed that the bodyguard of Carey’s children, Marcio Moto, used to make her feel threatened by shouting at her..
- Duncan MacKay, Scottish soccer defender (14 caps; Celtic 162 games), who died at 82.
- Alan Harrington, Welsh soccer defender (11 caps; Cardiff City 348 games), who died at 86.
On this day in 2018
- Honey Lantree drummer with English beat, pop group The Honeycombs died aged 75. The Honeycombs scored the Joe Meek produced 1964 UK No.1 single 'Have I The Right', which featured Lantree who was one of the few female drummers in bands at that time. The song’s beat was enhanced by having the members of the group stamp their feet on the wooden stairs to the studio to add to the drum sound..
- American singer Miley Cyrus at the age of 26 weds Australian actor Liam Hemsworth at the age of 28 in Franklin, Tennessee; divorce in 2020.
- (Ann) "Honey" Lantree, British rock drummer (The Honeycombs), who died at 75.
- Honey Lantree, English rocker (The Honeycombs), who died at 75.
On this day in 2017
- Maurice Hayes, Irish politician (European Person of the Year 2003), who died at 90.
- Roger Carmillet, Race Car Driver.
On this day in 2016
- United Nations Security Council adopts a landmark resolution demanding a halt to all Israeli settlement in Palestinian territory occupied since 1967. Resolution 2334 was moved by New Zealand, Malaysia, Senegal and Venezuela and passed 14-0 with a US abstention..
- Hammy The Corgi, TikTok Star, born in North Carolina.
- Heinrich Schiff, Austrian cellist and conductor, who died at 65.
- Piers J Sellers, English astronaut and climate scientist, who died of cancer at 61.
- Meto Jovanovski, Novelist.
On this day in 2015
- Musician Richard Marx at the age of 53 weds TV host and model Daisy Fuentes at the age of 50 in Aspen, Colorado.
- TV Host Carson Daly at the age of 42 weds Siri Pinter in a church ceremony.
- American soft rock singer-songwriter Richard Marx at the age of 53 weds American model and TV host Daisy Fuentes at the age of 50 in Aspen, Colorado.
- Alfred G. Gilman, American scientist (1994 Nobel Prize for G-protein discoveries), who died at 74.
On this day in 2014
- Antwain Lee Fowler, Instagram Star, born in United States.
- Jerzy Semkow, Polish-French conductor and educator, who died at 86.
- K Balachander, Director.
- Steve Lesage, Race Car Driver.
On this day in 2013
- The Mail On Sunday reported that documents they obtained from the Cabinet Office via the Freedom Of Information Act showed that George Harrison, who passed away in 2001, turned down the chance to be included in the New Year's Honours List in 2000. The OBE was recommended by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport who said that Harrison should be recognised for his contribution to the music industry. The citation read: "He was a member of a band that many people would say is the best thing that Britain has ever produced, and possibly the best in the world, The Beatles"..
- Mikhail Kalashnikov, Russian general and inventor of the AK-47, who died at 94.
- Ricky Lawson, American musician, who died at 59.
- Vito Rizzuto, Italian-Canadian alleged mafia boss, also known as "Montreal's Teflon Don", who died at 67.
- Yusef Lateef, American jazz saxophonist and flautist, who died at 93.
- José Ortiz, Comic Book Artist.