ThursdayThu, December 24th Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Christmas Eve is being celebrated in most countries
- Independence Day is being celebrated in Libya
- People born on this day are Capricorn as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
On this day in 2022
- Mandla Maphumulo, Music Producer.
- Tunisha Sharma, Indian actress (Alibaba - Dastaan-e-Kabul), found dead at 20.
On this day in 2021
- LadBaby made chart history when his song 'Sausage Rolls for Everyone', a sausage roll-themed parody of Ed Sheeran and Elton John's No.1 single 'Merry Christmas' and also featuring Sheeran and John, debuted at No.1 in the UK Singles Chart. It gave the Nottingham-born YouTuber and musician his fourth consecutive Christmas No.1 single. LadBaby became only the second act in history, after The Beatles, to secure four Christmas No.1 singles, but was the very first to achieve four consecutive Christmas chart-toppers, surpassing the records of both The Beatles and The Spice Girls..
- J.D. Crowe, American bluegrass banjo player and band leader (The New South), who died at 84.
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- Parallel Mothers is released. Two women, Janis and Ana, coincide in a hospital room where they are going to give birth. Both are single and became pregnant by accident. Janis, middle-aged, doesn’t regret it and she is exultant. The other, Ana, an adolescent, is scared, repentant and traumatized. Janis tries to encourage her while they move like sleepwalkers along the hospital corridors. The few words they exchange in these hours will create a very close link between the two, which by chance develops and complicates, and changes their lives in a decisive way.
- Magic was released by Nas. The latest full-length studio release for rapper Nas was produced by Hit-Boy and features guest appearances from A$AP Rocky and DJ Premier.
On this day in 2020
- Ivry Gitlis, Israeli classical violin virtuoso, who died at 98.
- GAMING: PC
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV for PC is released. Triumph over the land, take charge of the fate of China! Conquer territories and fly your colors!
On this day in 2019
- American songwriter Allee Willis died age 72. Willis co-wrote hit songs including 'September' and 'Boogie Wonderland' by Earth, Wind & Fire and 'I’ll Be There for You' by the Rembrandts, the theme from the TV sitcom Friends. Her compositions sold over 60 million records and she was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2018..
- Walter Horak, Austrian soccer striker (13 caps; Wiener Sport Club, Sochaux), who died at 88.
- TV SERIES
- John Mulaney & The Sack Lunch Bunch: Season 1 is released. The musical comedy special from John Mulaney with a group of 15 kids aged between 8 and 13-years-old are joined by Annaleigh Ashford, David Byrne, Jake Gyllenhaal, Richard Kind, Natasha Lyonne, Shereen Pimentel, and Andre De Shields.
On this day in 2018
- Osvaldo Bayer, Screenwriter.
- GAMING: SWITCH
- Aaero: Complete Edition for Switch is released. 'Aaero: Complete Edition' is the definitive Aaero experience.The bundle includes the '1000DaysWasted - Drum & Bass Pack' and the 'Monstercat Pack' alongside the main game as well as the 'Comet', 'Sol' and 'Phaser' ship skins.
On this day in 2017
- Heather Menzies-Urich, Canadian actress (The Sound of Music, Piranha), who died of cancer at 68.
On this day in 2016
- Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt died in hospital in Marbella, Spain aged 68. He died from a severe infection after going to hospital, following complications to a shoulder injury. His partnership with Francis Rossi became the core of Status Quo, one of Britain's most enduring bands. Status Quo had over 60 chart hits in the UK, more than any other rock band, including "Pictures of Matchstick Men" in 1967, "Whatever You Want" in 1979 and "In the Army Now" in 2010. Twenty-two of these reached the Top 10 in the UK Singles Chart. In July 1985 the band opened Live Aid at Wembley Stadium with "Rockin' All Over the World"..
- Vera Rubin, American astronomer who discovered dark matter, who died at 88.
- Jack Philip Cannon, British composer, who died at 87.
- Richard Adams, English author (Watership Down), who died at 96.
- Rick Parfitt, British pop guitarist and singer (Status Quo - "Wanderer" ; "Pictures of Matchstick Men"), who died at 68.
On this day in 2015
- William Guest of Gladys Knight And The Pips died of heart failure at the age of 74. His background vocals can be heard on all of the group's hits, including 'Midnight Train To Georgia', 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' and the Grammy winning 'Neither One Of Us (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye)'..
- Chosen Newton, Family Member, born in Atlanta, GA.
On this day in 2014
- Boniface "Buddy" DeFranco, Italian-American jazz clarinetist and bandleader (Glenn Miller Orchestra), who died at 91.
- MOVIES: PG13
- Two Days, One Night is released. Sandra (Marion Cotillard) has just returned to work after recovering from a serious bout with depression. Realizing that the company can operate with one fewer employee, management tells Sandra she is to be let go. After learning that her co-workers will vote to decide her fate on Monday morning, Sandra races against time over the course of the weekend, often with the help of her husband, to convince each of her fellow employees to sacrifice their much-needed bonuses so she can keep her job. With each encounter, Sandra is brought into a different world with unexpected results. [IFC Films]
On this day in 2013
- GAMING: PLAYSTATION 4
- ZEN Pinball 2 for PlayStation 4 is released. Zen Pinball 2 is full of exciting Wii U GamePad features such as controlling the plunger on the touch screen, rotating camera views, accessing information via the dot matrix, and Free View control by tilting the Wii U GamePad. Additional features include:- Unprecedented table visuals and the most advanced ball physics on Wii U- Trial version for all tables, try them out before you buy!- Local Hotseat multiplayer, and fast paced Split-screen multiplayer game modes- Action cameras to guide and emphasize spectacular moments- Ranking support for all tables, National Ranking, and Worldwide tournaments- Continue playing on the Wii U GamePad if the TV is occupied!- Robust social features with Challenges, Pro Score, and Team Score. Its up to you to become the Pinball Champion!- Awards for each table- Regular table releases through the Nintendo eShop
- Edgar Bronfman, Sr, Canadian-American businessman (CEO of Seagrams,1971-94; president of World Jewish Conference,1981-2007), and philanthropist, who died at 84.