SaturdaySat, December 26th Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- 2nd Day of Christmas is being celebrated in most countries
- Boxing Day is being celebrated in most countries
- Boxing Day (Many regions) is being celebrated in Canada
- Christmas Day Holiday is being celebrated in Denmark, Hong Kong, Romania
- Christmas Holiday is being celebrated in Germany, Greenland, Saint Lucia, South Sudan
- Day after Christmas is being celebrated in Pakistan, Spain
- Day of Goodwill is being celebrated in South Africa
- Family Day is being celebrated in Namibia, Vanuatu
- Independence and Unity Day is being celebrated in Slovenia
- National Day of Thanksgiving is being celebrated in Solomon Islands
- St Stephen's Day is being celebrated in Andorra, France, Liechtenstein, Vatican City
- St. Stephen's Day is being celebrated in Austria, Croatia, Ireland, Italy
- Synaxis of the Mother of God is being celebrated in Greece
- Udhauli Parva is being celebrated in Nepal
- Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day is being celebrated in Sri Lanka
- People born on this day are Capricorn as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
On this day in 2023
On this day in 2022
- Sergey Dmitriyev, Russian soccer striker (6 caps USSR; Zenit Saint Petersburg, CSKA Moscow), who died at 58.
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- Broker is released. One rainy night, a baby is left at the baby box facility. Sang-hyun (Song Kang Ho) and Dong-soo (Gang Dong Won) secretly take it home. However, the next day, So-young (Lee Ji Eun) unexpectedly returns, looking for her baby Woo-sung. She decides to call the police when she finds out that her boy is missing. The two men’s explanation that they took him to find suitable parents willing to adopt him is hard to believe, but with nowhere left to go, she decides to join their mission to find new parents for her boy. Meanwhile, the police detective Su-jin (Doona Bae) and her subordinate Detective Lee (Lee Joo Young) have been investigating the case for the past 6 months, waiting for the decisive moment when they can catch the duo in the act. This group of people, brought together by a baby box, set off on a journey that will lead to destinations they never expected.
On this day in 2021
- Desmond Tutu, Religious Leader.
- Dorval Rodrigues, Brazilian soccer right winger (13 caps; Santos FC, SE Palmeiras), who died at 86.
- Karolos Papoulias, World Leader.
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- Memoria is released. A Scottish woman (Tilda Swinton), after hearing a loud ‘bang’ at daybreak, begins experiencing a mysterious sensory syndrome while traversing the jungles of Colombia.
On this day in 2020
- Jim McLean, Scottish soccer forward (Hamilton Academical, Clyde, Dundee) and manager (Dundee United 1971-93), who died from dementia at 83.
- Tito Rojas, Folk Singer.
- Brodie Lee, Wrestler.
- GAMING: SWITCH
- The Hong Kong Massacre for Switch is released. Blast your way through the streets of Hong Kong in a fast-paced, top-down shooter.Inspired by classic action movies, The Hong Kong Massacre places you at the center of a hard-boiled revenge story, filled with brutal, cinematic shootouts and vivid underworld locations.Take on the role of a former police detective bent on exacting vengeance for his partner's murder and use of a mixture of raw firepower, slow-motion, and dive/dodge mechanics to tear your way through the criminal ranks.Dive through windows or dodge behind cover - every shot is lethal, so stay aware of your surroundings and exploit the environment however you can.When the heat is on, you can slow down time and plan for the next move. Avoiding bullets whilst taking out enemies is crucial for survival - but beware, your slow-motion ability is limited: plan fast, think ahead and bring down the bad guys unscathed.Each level features a range of challenges, allowing you to unlock new weapons as you progress, trading bullets from restaurants to rooftops across a moody, crime-riddled city.
- Phil Niekro, American Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher (famed knuckleballer; no-hitter 1973; 5 x MLB All Star; 5 x Gold Glove; Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves), who died of cancer at 81.
On this day in 2019
- American singer, musician and actor Sleepy LaBeef died age 84. As a rockabilly artist he was noted for his extensive repertoire, and for his live performances, at one time undertaking some 300 performances a year and claimed to know 6,000 songs..
- Annular solar eclipse visible from South and South East Asia.
- Eigil Nielsen, Danish soccer midfielder (10 caps; Basel), who died at 71.
- Jerry Herman, American musical theater composer (Hello, Dolly!; Mame; La Cage aux Folles), who died at 88.
- TV SERIES
- YOU: Season 2 is released. Joe Goldberg (Penn Badgley) becomes obsessed with Los Angeles aspiring chef Love Quinn (Victoria Pedretti) in the second season of the thriller which moves to Netflix.
- Elbert Dubenion, American football wide receiver and running back (AFL All Star 1964; Buffalo Bills), who died from complications related to Parkinson's disease at 86.
On this day in 2018
- American Colin O'Brady is the first person to cross Antarctica solo and unassisted after 54 days at the Ross Ice Shelf.
- Wendy Beckett, South African British nun and TV art critic, who died at 88.
- Theodore Antoniou, Greek conductor and composer (Paean, Celebration), who died at 83.
- TV SERIES
- The ABC Murders is released. Set in 1933, an older Hercule Poirot (John Malkovich) receives letters threatening murder but the new Inspector (Rupert Grint) dismisses the Belgian detective's help in this latest three-part BBC adaptation of Agatha Christie's novel.
- Sono Osato, American Japanese ballet dancer and actress, who died at 99.
On this day in 2017
- Jim Burns, the co-creator of MTV's iconic MTV Unplugged series, famous for hosting shows by artists as diverse as Eric Clapton, Nirvana and Jay-Z died at the age of 65. He was struck by a taxi while crossing Fifth Avenue in Manhattan three days earlier walking with his seeing-eye dog near his Upper East Side home..
On this day in 2016
- Jameson Moon Hart, Family Member, born in United States.
- George S. Irving [Shelasky], American broadway singer and actor (Dumplings), who died at 94.
On this day in 2015
- Floods in Paraguay, Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay displace 150,000, blamed on El Nino.
On this day in 2014
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- Tales of the Grim Sleeper is released. Nick Broomfield digs into the case of the notorious serial killer known as the Grim Sleeper, who terrorized South Central Los Angeles over a span of twenty-five years.
- Leo Tindemans, Belgian statesman, Prime Minister of Belgium (1974-78), who died at 92.
On this day in 2013
- Sirena Segura, Movie Actress, born in Spain.
- TV SERIES
- Death Comes to Pemberley: Season 1 is released. The adaptation of PD James's sequel to Pride and Prejudice picks up six years after the end of Austen's book with the Darcys (Matthew Rhys and Anna Maxwell Martin) preparing for a ball when a murder occurs in the woods with Wickham (Matthew Good) being the prime suspect.
- GAMING: WII U
- CastleStorm for Wii U is released. Set in a colorful medieval world, CastleStorm is a new breed of 2D archery projectile warfare and 2D physics-based structure destruction game.
- Paul Blair, American baseball outfielder (MLB All-Star 1969,73; World Series 1966,70,77-78; Gold Glove Award 1967,69–75; Baltimore Orioles), who died from a heart attack at 69.