SundaySun, December 27th Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Christmas Holiday is being celebrated in Bulgaria, Falkland Islands, Saint Lucia
- Constitution Day is being celebrated in North Korea
- People born on this day are Capricorn as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
On this day in 2023
On this day in 2022
- Jamaican reggae artist Jo Mersa Marley died in Miami-Dade County, Florida aged 31. He was the son of Stephen Marley and grandson of reggae musician Bob Marley..
- Andrzej Iwan, Polish soccer forward (29 caps; Wisla Kraków, Górnik Zabrze, VfL Bochum), who died at 63.
- British rock and roll singer and guitarist Casey Jones (aka Brian Cassar) died aged 86. His British beat band Casey Jones & Governors appeared at The Cavern Club in Liverpool many times in the early 1960s..
- Luka Doncic becomes the first player to register a 60-21-10 triple-double in NBA history as the Dallas Mavericks beat the NY Knicks,126-121; first 60-point game in Mavs franchise history.
On this day in 2021
- Andrew Vachss , Novelist.
- Adele was at No.1 on the US chart with her fourth studio album 30. Inspired by Adele's divorce, motherhood, fame, and heartache, the album expresses themes of acceptance and hope. The lead single, 'Easy on Me', topped the charts in 27 territories. 30 was the world's best-selling album of 2021, selling a total of 5.5 million copies in less than two months of its release..
On this day in 2020
- Harry Bromfield, South African cricket spin bowler (9 Tests,17 wickets; Western Province), who died at 88.
- José Luiz Carbone, Brazilian soccer midfielder (6 caps; São Paulo, Internacional, Botafogo) and coach (Fluminense, Guarani), who died from liver cancer at 74.
- TV SERIES
- Death To 2020 is released. The Charlie Brooker mockumentary features commentary about the year 2020 from fictional experts, world leaders and everyday people including a reporter (Samuel L. Jackson), historian (Hugh Grant), a doctor (Leslie Jones), a politician (Lisa Kudrow), a scientist (Samson Kayo), a tech executive (Kumail Nanjiani), an average citizen (Diane Morgan), and the Queen (Tracey Ullman).
- Loyd Phillips, American College Football Hall of Fame defensive lineman (University of Arkansas; Chicago Bears), who died from a stroke at 75.
On this day in 2019
- J.C. Danielsen, Race Car Driver.
- Garrett List, American classical and jazz composer and trombonist (Julliard Ensemble) dies at 76.
- Ilias Rosidis, Greek soccer defender (29 caps; Olympiacos FC), who died at 92.
- Archie Smith, Race Car Driver.
- Art Sullivan [Marc Liénart van Lidth de Jeude], Belgian pop singer-songwriter (" Un océan de caresses"), who died of pancreatic cancer at 69.
- (Beryl) "Jack" Sheldon, American jazz trumpeter (Merv Griffin), singer (Schoolhouse Rock), and actor (Run Buddy Run), who died at 88.
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- Clemency is released. Years of carrying out death row executions have taken a toll on prison warden Bernadine Williams (Alfre Woodard). As she prepares to execute another inmate, Bernadine must confront the psychological and emotional demons her job creates, ultimately connecting her to the man she is sanctioned to kill.
On this day in 2018
- GAMING: SWITCH
- Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends - Definitive Edition for Switch is released. 'Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends' introduces entirely new levels of fun to the refreshing gameplay vanquishing swarms of enemies with mighty warriors found in 'Dynasty Warrors 8.' In story mode, where you can immerse yourself in the vivid tales of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, it is now possible to play as the mighty warrior 'Lu Bu, ' and embark on a journey that depicts his way of life. Additionally, many new hypothetical scenarios to existing Romance of the Three Kingdoms battles have been added, as well as new playable characters, weapons types, growth/speedrun elements, and more! What's more, a revamped Ambition Mode and completely new Challenge Mode offer whole new ways to enjoy the 'Dynasty Warriors 8' universe.
On this day in 2017
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- In the Fade is released. Out of nowhere, Katja’s life falls apart when her husband Nuri and little son Rocco are killed in a bomb attack. Her friends and family try to give her the support she needs, and Katja somehow manages to make it through the funeral. But the mind numbing search for the perpetrators and reasons behind the senseless killing complicate Katja’s painful mourning, opening wounds and doubts. Danilo, a lawyer and Nuri’s best friend, represents Katja in the eventual trial against the two suspects: a young couple from the neo-Nazi scene. The trial pushes Katja to the edge, but there’s simply no alternative for her: she wants justice.
- Raheem Sterling scores to give Manchester City 1-0 win over Newcastle United at St. James'Park; EPL record 18th consecutive win; streak ends with 0-0 draw at Crystal Palace 31/12.
On this day in 2016
- Carrie Fisher, American actress (Princess Leia in Star Wars, When Harry Met Sally...) and writer (Postcards from the Edge), who died at 60 four days after suffering a heart attack on a flight from London to Los Angeles.
On this day in 2015
- Iraqi forces retake IS held city of Ramadi (ISIS first captured in May).
- Singer Stevie Wright died aged 68. During 1964–69 he was lead singer of Sydney-based band the Easybeats, who had the 1966 world-wide hit 'Friday on My Mind'. The Easybeats were widely regarded as the greatest Australian pop band of the 1960s..
- Stein Eriksen, Norwegian alpine skier (first Olympic giant slalom gold 1952), who died at 88.
- Stevie Wright, British-born Australian singer with the Easybeats (Friday on my Mind), who died at 68.
- Haskell Wexler, American cinematographer and director, who died at 93.
- Andy M. Stewart, Scottish musician and composer (Silly Wizard), who died at 63.
- (Meadow) "Meadowlark" Lemon, American basketball star (Harlem Globetrotters,1955-80,1990, and 3 other teams), and clergyman, who died at 83.
- Meadowlark Lemmon, American basketball star (Harlem Globetrotters), who died at 83.
On this day in 2014
- Claude Frank, Pianist.
On this day in 2013
- 29 people are killed after a bus plunged off the Huay Tong Bridge, Thailand.
- MOVIES: PG13
- Labor Day is released. Labor Day centers on 13-year-old Henry Wheeler, who struggles to be the man of his house and care for his reclusive mother Adele while confronting all the pangs of adolescence. On a back-to-school shopping trip, Henry and his mother encounter Frank Chambers, a man both intimidating and clearly in need of help, who convinces them to take him into their home and later is revealed to be an escaped convict. The events of this long Labor Day weekend will shape them for the rest of their lives. [Paramount Pictures]
- MOVIES: R
- Lone Survivor is released. On June 28,2005 mission "Operation Red Wing"tasked four members of SEAL Team 10 to capture or kill notorious Taliban leader, Ahmad Shahd. Only one member of the team survived.