ThursdayThu, December 31st Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Festival Day is being celebrated in Montserrat
- National Heroes Day is being celebrated in Timor Leste
- New Year Eve is being celebrated in Tunisia
- New Year's Eve is being celebrated in most countries
- World Azerbaijan's Solidarity Day is being celebrated in Azerbaijan
- People born on this day are Capricorn as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
On this day in 2023
On this day in 2022
- Pietro Spada, Pianist.
- Pope Benedict Xvi, Religious Leader.
- Anita Pointer, American pop and R& B singer (The Pointer Sisters - "He's So Shy" ; "I'm So Excited"), who died at 74.
On this day in 2021
- Ice skater Adam Rippon marries real estate broker Jussi-Pekka Kajaala.
- Betty White, TV Actress.
- Billy Turner Jr., American thoroughbred trainer (Triple Crown 1977 Seattle Slew), who died from prostate cancer at 81.
- TV SERIES
- Cobra Kai: Season 4 is released. The latest All Valley Tournament sees John Kreese (Martin Kove) and Terry Silver (Thomas Ian Griffith) teaming up against Daniel and Johnny's dojo on the fourth season of the Karate Kid spin-off series.
- Stay Close: Season 1 is released. Secrets from the past threatens the lives of Megan (Cush Jumbo), a working mother of three; photographer Ray (Richard Armitage); Detective Broome (James Nesbitt); and Megan's friend Lorraine (Sarah Parish) in this adaptation of Harlan Coben's novel of the same name.
On this day in 2020
- WHO grants the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 pandemic vaccine emergency authorization, paving the way for worldwide distribution.
- Noah H Marwah, Family Member, born in Los Angeles, CA.
- Tommy Docherty, Scottish soccer midfielder (25 caps; Preston North End) and manager (Chelsea, QPR, Scotland, Manchester United), who died at 92.
- Joan Micklin Silver, American film director (Hester Street; Crossing Delancey), who died at 85.
- Richard Thornburgh,76th United States Attorney General (1988-91) and 41st Governor of Pennsylvania (dealt with Three Mile Island nuclear meltdown), who died at 88.
On this day in 2019
- Iraqi militiamen and protesters breach the outer wall of the US embassy in Baghdad following US airstrikes against Kataib Hezbollah, an Iranian-backed Iraqi militia, on December 29.
- Basil Watts, English rugby league second rower (5 Tests Great Britain,1 England; World Cup 1954; York RLFC), who died at 93.
On this day in 2018
- Ray Sawyer of Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show died age 81. With Dr. Hook the singer had the 1970s hits 'The Cover of Rolling Stone', 'A Little Bit More', 'When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman' and 'Sylvia's Mother'. He was a recognisable presence in the band owing to the eyepatch he wore after he lost his right eye in a 1967 automobile accident..
- Urban "Urbie" Green, American jazz trombonist (Woody Herman; Buck Clayton; Hugo Montenegro), who died at 92.
- Dean Ford (Thomas McAleese), Scottish singer-songwriter (Marmalade), who died from complications relating to Parkinson's disease at 72.
- Kader Khan, Movie Actor.
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina wins third term in Bangladesh elections with 17 people killed in violent clashes.
- Houston guard James Harden scores 43 points in Rockets'113-101 win over Memphis Grizzlies; 4th straight NBA game with 40+ points and 8th straight with 35+; joins Oscar Robertson as only player with at least 35 points & 5 assists in 8 straight games.
On this day in 2017
- Singer Lorde called a bigot in ad in Washington Post after cancelling show in Israel.
- Cleveland Browns crash to a 28-24 loss to Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field to become only the 2nd team in NFL history to finish season with 0-16 record.
- Bus crash at Migaa near Molo, central Kenya, kills at least 30.
- Ban on ivory trade in China comes into effect.
- Indian movie star Rajinikanth announces he is entering politics.
On this day in 2016
- Chris Ofili is appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2017 New Year Honours for services to art.
- William Christopher, American comedian and actor (Father Mulcahy-M*A*S*H), who died at 84.
On this day in 2015
- US law enforcement kills 1,134 in 2015, young black men 9x more likely to be victims.
- 82nd Orange Bowl: #1 Clemson beats #4 Oklahoma,37-17.
- TV presenter Alex Jones at the age of 38 weds Charlie Thomson in a magical ceremony at Cardiff Castle.
- Wayne Rogers, American actor (M*A*S*H, House Calls), who died at 82.
- Beth Howland, American actress (Vera - Alice, Company), who died at 74.
- Donovan Haider, Race Car Driver.
- Marvin Panch, Race Car Driver.
- Natalie Cole, American pop vocalist ('Pink Cadillac" ; "Miss You Like Crazy"), who died at 65.
On this day in 2014
- 36 die and 47 are wounded during a stampede of New Year revellers on Shanghai's Bund riverfront.
- Edward Herrmann, Movie Actor.
- MOVIES: R
- A Most Violent Year is released. In New York City during the winter of 1981, statistically one of the most violent years in the city's history, an immigrant and his family try to expand their business and capitalize on opportunities as the rampant violence, decay, and corruption of the day drag them in and threaten to destroy all they have built.
- Beji Caid Essebsi is sworn in as Tunisia's 1st ever freely elected President.
On this day in 2013
- Actress-comedian Lily Tomlin at the age of 74 weds screenwriter Jane Wagner at the age of 78 in Los Angeles, California.
- " The Big Bang Theory" actress Kaley Cuoco at the age of 28 weds professional tennis player Ryan Sweeting at the age of 26 at Hummingbird Nest Ranch in Santa Susana, California.
- George Tet, Race Car Driver.
- James Avery, American actor, who died from complications from surgery at 68.
- John Fortune [John C. Wood], English satirist and comedian (Bremner, Bird and Fortune), who died at 74.
- GAMING: WII U
- Dr. Luigi for Wii U is released. Much like the classic puzzle game Dr. Mario, Dr. Luigi requires you to line up color-coded pills to destroy viruses. Dr. Luigi offers different skill settings and attacks in multiplayer games, and an original mode where the pills are, of course, L-shaped. The game comes with a Dr. Mario mode, Wii U GamePad compatibility, and online play, so wannabe virus busters from all around the world can compete.