SaturdaySat, July 18th Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Constitution Day is being celebrated in Uruguay
- Nelson Mandela's Birthday is being celebrated in South Africa
- President's Day Holiday is being celebrated in Botswana
- People born on this day are Cancer as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
On this day in 2023
- TV SERIES
- Justified: City Primeval: Season 1 is released. Eight years later, US Marshal Raylan Givens has been a part-time father to his 15-year-old daughter in Miami, but he is soon drawn to Detroit, where the criminal known as The Oklahoma Wildman (Boyd Holbrook) has managed to escape punishment thanks to his attorney (Aunjanue Ellis).
On this day in 2022
- Claes Oldenburg, Swedish-American pop artist (Clothespin; Alphabet; Good Humor), who died at 93.
On this day in 2021
- Enn Tarto, Politician.
- TV SERIES
- The End: Season 1 is released. Set in Australia, palliative care Dr. Kate Brennan (Frances O'Connor) brings her mother Edie (Harriet Walter) out from England to a Gold Coast retirement community after her suicide attempt in this dark comedy created and written by Samantha Strauss.[Premiered originally in Australia on Fox Showcase on 2 Feb 2021, in the UK on Sky Atlantic on 10 Feb 2021 and in the US on Showtime on 18 Jul 2021]
- John Woodcock OBE, English cricket journalist ('The Times'1954-88; Wisden Cricketers'Almanack 1981-86; President Cricket Writers'Club 1986-2004), who died at 94.
On this day in 2020
- Indian actor Amitabh Bachchan and his son Abhishek are hospitalized with COVID-19 pandemic in Mumbai.
- El Dany, Rapper.
- Barry Jarman, Australian cricket wicket-keeper (19 Tests; 54 dismissals), who died at 84.
- Miura Haruma, TV Actor.
On this day in 2019
- One of world's earliest mosques at 1,200 years old discovered by archaeologists in Israel's Negev Desert.
- June 2019 was the hottest June on record with average worldwide temperature of 61.6F (16.4C) according to The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- Arson attack on animated studio Kyoto Animation Co in Kyoto, Japan, kills at least 33.
- Children's songs "Baby Shark" and "Raining Tacos" used by City of West Palm Beach, Florida to drive away homeless people from the waterfront.
- Ed Sheeran broke yet another streaming record. His latest collaborative album No. 6 Collaborations Project, racked up 69 million streams in a month on Spotify, which was the highest by any artist. This new record wasn’t the first that Sheeran has broken. His last album Divide set a new record of 56 million streams on the day of release, while ‘Shape Of You’ picked up over 10 million streams on its first day..
- GAMING: PC
- Horace for PC is released. Horace is a story-driven, pixel-platform adventure peppered with nostalgic, popular culture references which will bring a smile to any gamer who enjoys the 8 and 16 bit era.
- GAMING: SWITCH
- Etherborn for Switch is released. Etherborn is an elegant leap in the gravity-puzzle genre; an environmental puzzle platformer built on exploring and understanding gravity-shifting structures. You are a voiceless being that has just been born into a world where a bodiless voice awaits your arrival. As your first thoughts emerge, you realise your journey has just begun. You must reach this ethereal voice to fully understand your own existence. In this world, the laws of physics behave in a way that will bend your imagination. You experience gravity perpendicular to the surface you are standing on, allowing for creative exploration possibilities in environments carefully crafted as navigation-based puzzles. Travel through beautiful and exotic sceneries where each level is an organic puzzle that you need to explore, manipulate and shift your gravity on in order to decipher the way forward.
On this day in 2018
- Elon Musk apologises for calling British caver diver in Thai rescue "pedo guy" after widespread criticism and fall in Tesla stock price.
- Google fined record $5.1 billion by the EU for abusing its power in mobile phone market.
- Cliff Richard wins privacy case against the BBC, for reporting he was being investigated over historic child sexual assaults.
- Lava from Kilauea volcano eruption has now destroyed 700 homes and added 700 acres to Big Island confirms Hawaii National Guard.
- New Earth geological age announced, the Meghalayan Age 4,200 years ago to the present, by the International Commission on Stratigraphy.
- Seventeen men charged with the gang-rape of a 12-year old girl in Chennai, India.
- Turkey ends its two-year State of Emergency.
- GAMING: SWITCH
- The Mooseman for Switch is released. Long-long time ago the world was created out of an egg-shell by a god named Yen. In the murky depths of the endless ocean the Lower World was born. The Middle World was made for the men to dwell, and the Upper World was were the ancient gods would reside. Multitudes of spirits dwell among the layers of creation, guarding their secrets in the dark. Embark on a journey through all the worlds of ancient myth, find artefacts of Chud' tribes and solve all the mysteries of finno-ugric tales. You are the Mooseman and you have the ability to see all that is hidden to the mortal eye. You are about to visit three layers of this universe - the first one is the Lower World where the spirits of the dead reside.
- GAMING: XBOX ONE
- The Long Reach for Xbox One is released. The Long Reach is set in New Hampshire, in the fictional town of Baervox. The game draws its inspiration from Lone Survivor and The Cave and all the classical adventures (except that The Long Reach is set in the present day).
- Nicaraguan government announces Masaya is back under its control after violent clashes with anti-government protesters.
- 44 Forest fires in Sweden as far north as the Arctic Circle prompt Swedish government to request extra assistance, with drought and warm weather to blame.
On this day in 2017
- R&B singer R Kelly denied allegations that he was holding several young women in an "abusive cult". The singer's lawyer said he would work "diligently and forcibly to pursue his accusers and clear his name".A report accused the singer of brainwashing women, who got closer to him in an effort to boost their musical careers.He had faced previous accusations of sexual misconduct, but was never found guilty..
- Jose Bragato, Composer.
- GAMING: PC
- Children of Zodiarcs for PC is released. A single-player Tactical JRPG with collectible cards and craftable dice combined with classic tactical gameplay, rich story, and memorable music.
- GAMING: PLAYSTATION 4
- Archangel for PlayStation 4 is released. Enter the cockpit of a six-story mech and feel its might at your command. You are the tip of the spear in the United States Free Forces’ war against the overwhelming mechanized forces of HUMNX, a tyrannical corporation that rules a post-apocalyptic America.
- Fallen Legion: Sins of an Empire for PlayStation 4 is released. Fallen Legion: Sins of an Empire is an intense action RPG where every battle is a heart-pounding fight and each gut-wrenching choice impacts the realm.
- Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles for PlayStation 4 is released. Yonder shipwrecks players on the vast island of Gemea, a land enshrouded in an evil murk. By exploring the land, joining forces with the locals and contributing to their community through optional talents like farming, crafting, cooking, fishing and brewing, adventurers can help the island flourish.
- 99Vidas for PlayStation 4 is released. 99Vidas is a brawler set in a contemporary world that pays tribute to both classic and new games in the industry. Brought to you in 16-bit pixelated glory, chock-full of references to not only gaming but also 80’s and 90’s pop culture.
- Harvey Atkin, Canadian actor (Meatballs), who died at 74.
On this day in 2016
- Gugu Zulu, Race Car Driver.
- Chris Brauer, Race Car Driver.
- Billy Name [William Linich Jr], photographer (Andy Warhol's factory), who died at 76.
On this day in 2015
- PayPal is spun off from eBay as a separate publicly traded company on the NASDAQ.
- Jake Lim, Instagram Star, born in Singapore.
- (Perry) "Buddy" Buie, American rock songwriter, and record producer (Atlanta Rhythm Section - "So Into You" ; "Imaginary Lover"), who died of a heart attack at 74.
- Alex Rocco, American actor (The Godfather, The Famous Teddy Z), who died at 79.
- Chris Young, Race Car Driver.
On this day in 2014
- The Israeli Defense Force (IDF) call 18,000 additional reserves soldiers in campaign against Gaza.
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- Video Games: The Movie is released. Video Games: The Movie chronicles the meteoric rise of video games from nerd niche to multi-billion dollar industry. Featuring in-depth interviews with the godfathers who started it all, the icons of game design, and the geek gurus who are leading us into the future, Video Games: The Movie is a celebration of gaming from Atari to Xbox, and an eye-opening look at what lies ahead.
- Mood Indigo is released. When Colin (Romain Duris), a wealthy bachelor whose hobbies include developing his pianocktail (a cocktail-making piano) and devouring otherworldly dishes prepared by his trusty chef Nicolas (Omar Sy), learns that his best friend Chick (Gad Elmaleh), a fellow acolyte of the philosopher Jean-Sol Partre, has a new American girlfriend, our lonely hero attends a friend's party in hopes of falling in love himself. He soon meets Chloé (Audrey Tautou) and, before they know it, they're dancing to Duke Ellington and plunging headfirst into love. Their whirlwind courtship is tested when an unusual illness plagues Chloe; a flower begins to grow in her lungs. To save her, Colin discovers the only cure is to surround Chloe with a never-ending supply of fresh flowers.
- Alive Inside is released. Alive Inside investigates the power music has to awaken deeply locked memories. The film follows Dan Cohen, a social worker, who decides on a whim to bring iPods to a nursing home. To his and the staff's surprise many residents suffering from memory loss and Alzheimer's Disease seem to "awaken"when they are able to listen to music from their past. With great excitement, Dan turns to renowned neurologist Dr. Oliver Sacks, and we follow them both as we investigate the mysterious way music functions inside our brains and our lives.
- Among Ravens is released. An annual 4th of July weekend hosted by troubled couple Wendy (Amy Smart) and Ellis (Josh Leonard) is seen through the eyes of Joey (Johnny Sequoia), Wendy's ten year old daughter. Ellis is a trust fund baby, who is devoted to Wendy and Joey, but oblivious to the fact that his wife feels disconnected from him; Wendy, a former college radical, feigns a happiness she has secretly lost. Among the couple's invited guests are: Saul, Wendy ex-husband, a successful writer whom we come to discover has never written a thing in his life; Will, Saul's alcoholic ghost writer who is suffering from writer’s block; Emma, Saul’s wife, who is having an affair with Will, and Hal, a rootless hippie life coach and Wendy’s best friend. Into this combustible mix walks Chad, a nature photographer who forces the old friends into uncomfortable situations that reveal long buried secrets and cause the group to re-examine their relationships over the course of the weekend. [Gravitas Ventures]
- A Five Star Life is released. Stylish and independent, Irene (Margherita Buy) is a single career woman in her forties with a job to die for. As a luxury hotel critic, she checks into the world's finest establishments incognito to assess their standards, meticulously judging every detail from the concierge's manners to the temperature of the food to the quality of the bedsheets. Her elegant, unattached lifestyle affords her the freedom to jet around the globe at a moment's notice to experience a world of luxury, but doesn't leave her with much of a personal life. On the rare occasions she's not working, Irene's world revolves around her absent-minded sister Silvia (Fabrizia Sacchi), two lively young nieces, and best friend--and former lover--Andrea (Stefano Accorsi). But when Silvia begins to deal with marital problems and Andrea faces an unexpected life change, Irene's small support network is fractured and she struggles to balance a glamorous career with the growing desire for something more. After a chance meeting shakes up her worldview even more, she's compelled to reexamine her choices and charts her own path to happiness despite the expectations of others. [Music Box Films]
- Aftermath is released. The devastating horror of a nuclear apocalypse is now reality and nine desperate strangers find themselves clinging to life in a farmhouse cellar, while radioactive fallout descends on the darkened world above. These would-be survivors face the nightmare of dwindling supplies, poisonous air and the greatest threat of all – the hordes of zombie-like refugees who want in. With each dying day, their choice becomes clearer – stay and let the makeshift shelter become their tomb or face the unknown terrors of the world outside.
- Fanny is released. Abandoned and still in love, Fanny finds out she's expecting Marius' child. Now an unmarried mother, she's unable to take responsibility for her and her child's future. With the approval of her mother and of Cesar, her child's grandfather, she gives in and marries Honore Panisse, a wealthy merchant from the Old Port who is thirty years her senior. He recognizes her child and raises him as his own. Panisse also brings them wealth, a renewed social status and a comfortable future. A few months after the wedding and the birth of the child, Marius, while traveling by sea to faraway lands and with no resources, realizes he still has feelings for Fanny, who still loves him. [Kino Lorber]
- MOVIES: PG
- Planes: Fire & Rescue is released. When world famous air racer Dusty learns that his engine is damaged and he may never race again, he shifts gears and is launched into the world of aerial firefighting. Dusty joins forces with veteran fire and rescue helicopter Blade Ranger and his courageous team, including spirited super scooper Dipper, heavy-lift helicopter Windlifter, ex-military transport Cabbie and a lively bunch of brave all-terrain vehicles known as The Smokejumpers. Together, the fearless team battles a massive wildfire and Dusty learns what it takes to become a true hero.
- MOVIES: PG13
- Persecuted is released. When a Senator frames evangelist John Luther for the murder of an innocent teenage girl, an unprecedented era of persecution is unleashed. An evangelist turned fugitive, Luther’s mission brings him face-to-face with the coming storm of persecution that will threaten the entire Christian community in America.
- MOVIES: R
- Sex Tape is released. When Jay and Annie first got together, their romantic connection was intense – but ten years and two kids later, the flame of their love needs a spark. To kick things up a notch, they decide to make a video of themselves trying out every position in The Joy of Sex in one marathon three-hour session. It seems like a great idea – until they discover that their most private video is no longer private. With their reputations on the line, they know they’re just one click away from being laid bare to the world, but as their race to reclaim their video leads to a night they’ll never forget, they’ll find that their video will expose even more than they bargained for. [Columbia Pictures]
- The Purge: Anarchy is released. On the night of the annual Purge, five citizens find out just how far they will go to protect themselves and, ultimately, each other, as they fight to survive a night fraught with impossible decisions.
- Wish I Was Here is released. Aidan Bloom, a 35-year-old struggling actor, father and husband is still trying to find his identity, a purpose for his life. He winds up trying to home school his two children when his father can no longer afford to pay for private education and the only available public school is on its last legs. Through teaching them about life his way, Aidan gradually discovers some of the parts of himself he couldn't find.
- I Origins is released. Dr. Ian Gray (Michael Pitt), a molecular biologist studying the evolution of the eye, finds his work permeating his life after a brief encounter with an exotic young woman (Astrid Bergès-Frisbey) who slips away from him. As his research continues years later with his lab partner Karen (Brit Marling), they make a stunning scientific discovery that has far reaching implications and complicates both his scientific and spiritual beliefs. Traveling half way around the world, he risks everything he has ever known to validate his theory.
On this day in 2013
- Detroit, Michigan, files for bankruptcy, becoming the largest US municipal bankruptcy ever at $18.5 billion.
- During her The Truth About Love Tour Pink broke two records at the Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, Australia becoming the artist who had performed the most shows at the venue, with 18 sold out shows and the first artist to sell more than 250,000 tickets at the venue..
- 46th San Diego Comic-Con International opens at San Diego Convention Center.
- Lee Seol-Ah, Family Member, born in South Korea.
- Lee Soo-Ah, Family Member, born in South Korea.
- GAMING: 3DS
- Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale for 3DS is released. Millennium Kitchen's Kaz Ayabe is known for mesmerizing many Japanese fans with his heartwarming stories in the Boku no Natsuyasumi (Summer Holidays 20th Century) series. In ATTACK OF THE FRIDAY MONSTERS! A TOKYO TALE, he introduces for the first time, a Tokyo-life simulation game where players will take the role of a young boy named Sohta who lives where the giant monsters from the TV shows of Japan's 1970s come to life every Friday. In this rustic town of tranquil days and idyllic scenery, there lies a nostalgic tale sure to warm your heart. ATTACK OF THE FRIDAY MONSTERS! A TOKYO TALE will be the first of Kaz Ayabe's games to be released outside of Japan.
- GAMING: PC
- Halo: Spartan Assault for PC is released. Available only for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, "Halo: Spartan Assault" is a new top-down action shooter that brings a "Halo" video game to touch-based devices for the first time in franchise history. Developed by 343 Industries in conjunction with Vanguard Games, "Halo: Spartan Assault" provides an accessible, pick-up-and-play experience for fans and newcomers alike.Set between the events of "Halo 3" and "Halo 4, "" Halo: Spartan Assault" is a new chapter of the award-winning "Halo" universe that explores the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and dives deeper into the backstory of Human-Covenant wars. Play through the eyes of either Commander Sarah Palmer or Spartan Davis stationed aboard the UNSC Infinity as they fight never-before-seen battles against Covenant forces.With rich storytelling, intuitive controls, and best-in-class action, audio and graphics, "Halo: Spartan Assault" brings the epic scale and action of the "Halo" universe to mobile devices through unrivaled action and intensity.
- Face Noir for PC is released. Black Thursday. That is how the press rechristened that October 24th,1929, a day in which U.S. began to face the darkest years of his history: the Great Depression years. All the great values professed by this nation vanished within a couple of months, the American dream was dead and trust in God begun to shake. Few years had been enough for people to show their real side: false, mean and, above all, open to bribery. But the one thing I would have never imagined is how far corruption had gone; so far that somebody would actually try to bribe God. And now here I am, a gun barrel pointed at me, a corpse on my conscience, and a young lady to protect. How could this ever happen? How is it possible that everything has stemmed from a series of coincidences? Do you believe in Destiny?...I don't. [Mad Orange]
- Government of Detroit declares bankruptcy. The city, which was up to $20 billion in debt, became the largest municipal entity in the United States to declare bankruptcy..