June 14 Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Liberation Day is being celebrated in Falkland Islands
- World Blood Donor Day is being celebrated in International
Today in Astrology
- People born on this day are Gemini as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
On this day in 2160
- Montgomery Edward Scott, Fictional engineer from Star Trek, born in Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Nazaret Sanchez, Photographer, born in Tarragona, Spain.
- Henry Mendoza, YouTube Star, born in Peru.
On this day in 2022
- K-pop group BTS announce they are taking a break to pursue individual projects.
- Denmark and Canada agree to split the arctic Hans Island, ending their 50-year "Whiskey War", where each country laid claim by buying whiskey on the island.
- Carlos Ortiz, Boxer.
- Bill Ashurst, English rugby league second rower (3 Tests GB; Wigan, Penrith RLFC, Wakefield Trinity), who died at 74.
On this day in 2021
- Cristiano Ronaldo removes sponsors coke bottles from his press table at the European Championships, prompting the company share price to drop $4 billion.
- Heatwave event begins across western US and Canadian states with Denver at 101 degrees and Helena 105 degrees.
- Enrique Bolaños, President of Nicaragua (2002-07), who died at 93.
- Markis Kido, Indonesian badminton player (Olympic gold men's doubles 2008 [with Hendra Setiawan]; World C'ships gold 2007; World Cup gold 2006), who died from a heart attack at 36.
On this day in 2020
- India reports surge of nearly 12,000 a day confirmed COVID-19 pandemic cases (320,922 overall), the world's fourth-affected country, as death toll hits 9,195.
- Keith Tippett, Pianist.
- Noel Kelly, Australian rugby league hooker (25 Tests; Queensland, NSW, Western Suburbs) and coach (Western Suburbs, North Sydney), who died from a stroke at 84.
- Aarón Padilla Gutiérrez, Mexican soccer striker (55 caps; Pumas, Atlante, Veracruz), who died at 77.
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Movie Actor.
On this day in 2019
- Swiss women hold a national strike over the country's slow pace towards equality.
- Petition to create world's first "time free zone" on Sommaroy island which has complete dayight for 2 months, delivered to the Norwegian parliament.
- Petition to create world's first "time free zone" on Sommaroy island which has complete daylight for 2 months, delivered to the Norwegian parliament.
- Britney Spears was granted a permanent restraining order against her former manager, Sam Lutfi who looked after her career from 2007 to 2008. A judge granted the five-year order forbidding Lutfi from contacting Spears and her relatives and from making disparaging comments about them online. The singers father Jamie Spears told the court how Lutfi had been a "predator"on his family for over 10 years and he was "worried"about his potential influence..
- Columbia Records releases Bruce Springsteen's 19th studio album "Western Stars".
On this day in 2018
- Malaysia's national debt reassessed at $250 billion, up from previous estimate $170 billion,80% of gross domestic product.
- 21st FIFA World Cup opens at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia with British singer Robbie Williams and Russian soprano Aida Garifullina performing.
- US government confirms 1500 boys being held separated from their parents in Casa Padre, shelter facility for illegal immigrants in a former Walmart in Brownsville, Texas.
- US Justice Department concludes James Comey was "insubordinate" in his handling of Hilliary Clinton investigation in 2016.
- American "Glee" actress and singer Naya Rivera at the age of 31 divorces American actor Ryan Dorsey at the age of 34 after almost 4 years of marriage.
- Ron Searle, Race Car Driver.
On this day in 2017
- US Library of Congress names Tracey K. Smith as Poet Laureate.
- US Senate approves new sanctions against Russia as punishment for meddling in the 2016 election.
- Bernie Sanders supporter opens fire at Republican politicians practising baseball near Washington, D.C., injuring 4.
- Fire in Grenfell Tower block in London, England kills 79 and injures 37.
- Leo Varadkar formally elected Irish Prime Minister (taoiseach) in Dáil ceremony in Dublin - youngest Irish Prime Minister at 38 and 1st openly gay.
- Leo Varadkar formally elected Irish Prime Minister (taoiseach) in Dáil ceremony in Dublin - youngest Irish Prime Minster at 38 and 1st openly gay.
On this day in 2016
- Irish rock guitarist, Henry McCullough died after never fully recovering from a severe heart attack he had suffered four years earlier. He recorded with Paul McCartney and Wings, featuring on the hit James Bond theme, 'Live and Let Die' and 'My Love', the solo which he made up on the spot in front of a live orchestra. He was also a member of Spooky Tooth and The Grease Band..
- First mammal made extinct by human-induced climate change announced - the Bramble Cay melomys from Torres Strait.
- Ann Morgan Guilbert, American actress (The Dick Van Dyke Show - "Millie Helper" ; The Nanny - "Yetta"), who died at 87.
- Ann Morgan Guilbert, American actress (The Dick Van Dyke Show), who died at 87.
- Henry McCullough, Irish guitarist (Wings), who died at 72.
On this day in 2015
- Women's PGA Championship, Westchester CC: 3-peat for Inbee Park; beats fellow South Korean Kim Sei-young by 5 strokes; previously LPGA Championship.
- Senior Players Championship Men's Golf, Belmont CC: Defending champion Bernhard Langer of Germany wins by 6 strokes ahead of runner-up Kirk Triplett.
- " Jurassic World",1st film to make $500 million worldwide in its opening weekend.
On this day in 2014
- 49 people are killed after a Ukrainian Ilyushin Il-76 airlifter is shot down.
- Alexander Stubb becomes Prime Minister of Finland.
- Grammy Award winning rapper Eve at the age of 35 weds entrepreneur Maximillion Cooper at Cala Jondal Beach in Ibiza, Spain.
- Grammy Award-winning rapper Eve at the age of 35 weds entrepreneur Maximillion Cooper at Cala Jondal Beach in Ibiza, Spain.
- Francis Matthews, British actor (Paul Temple, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons), who died at 86.
- Rodney Thomas, American NFL running back, who died at 41.
- Sam Kelly [Roger Michael Kelly], English actor ('Allo 'Allo!, Porridge), who died of cancer at 70.
- Sam Kelly, TV Actor.
On this day in 2013
- Massive flooding occurs in northern India killing up to 10,000 people.
- The US government charges NSA leaker Edward Snowden with violating the Espionage Act and theft of government property.
- Hassan Rouhani is elected President of Iran.
- 90210 actor Matt Lanter at the age of 30 weds longtime girlfriend Angela Stacy at the Calamigos Ranch in Malibu, California.
- David Ezell, Race Car Driver.
- Hugh Maguire, Violinist.