SaturdaySat, March 28th Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- People born on this day are Aries as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
On this day in 2023
- Manfred Schaefer, Australian soccer defender (49 caps; St. George-Budapest FC) and manager (St. George-B FC, Sydney Olympic FC, APIA Leichhardt, Sydney Utd, Marconi), who died at 80.
- GAMING: PC
- Terra Nil for PC is released. Terra Nil, from eco-warriors Free Lives (Broforce) and recycled publisher Devolver Digital, presents players with the task of environmental rejuvenation. Begin with the water system, slowly purify the soil, and cultivate pioneer greenery. Embark on more ambitious tasks, restore biodiversity, fix the climate, introduce wildlife, and finally recycle all the structures you used to get there, leaving the environment pristine.Each region of the game has its own flavour and procedural generation palette. Yet even within a region, no two playthroughs will be the same.Navigate sprawling, verdant, hand-painted environments where everything but the rocks move and breathe. A meditative soundtrack and stunning audio palette will accompany your efforts.
- The Last of Us Part I for PC is released. In a ravaged civilization, where infected and hardened survivors run rampant, Joel, a weary protagonist, is hired to smuggle 14-year-old Ellie out of a military quarantine zone. However, what starts as a small job soon transforms into a brutal cross-country journey. Includes the complete The Last of Us single-player story and celebrated prequel chapter, Left Behind, which explores the events that changed the lives of Ellie and her best friend Riley forever.
- Crime Boss: Rockay City for PC is released. Rockay City. A thriving metropolis with excitement buzzing from the sandy bay to the towering skyscrapers. But beyond the glamour, there is a fierce turf war raging on... After the demise of the previous crime boss, there's an open vacancy for a new King of Rockay City - but it isn't just you who is fighting for the throne. Choose your crew based on their skills and expertise, and execute daring missions with the hopes of walking away with the cash, the turf and, ultimately, the crown.Crime Boss: Rockay City is an organized crime game combining first-person shooter action and turf wars, playable solo or with friends. Take on the role of Travis Baker - a man with his sights set on becoming the new King of Rockay City, one crime at a time...
- US Vice President Kamala Harris visits former slave port Cape Coast Castle in Ghana as part of her tour of Ghana, Tanzania and Zambia.
- Bill Leavy, American football official (NFL 1995-2014; Super Bowl 2000,06; 15 x playoff games), who died at 76.
On this day in 2022
- Actor Will Smith issues an apology on Instagram to Oscars host Chris Rock for slapping him live on stage during the ceremony.
- Naci Erdem, Turkish soccer centre-back (31 caps; Fenerbahçe), who died at 91.
- GAMING: PC
- Nightmare Reaper for PC is released. Explore the cursed depths of a nightmare while finding powerful weapons and improving your abilities in this retro first person shooter that breaches the wall between the classics and modern sensibilities.
On this day in 2021
- Mexico revises its COVID-19 pandemic death toll up by 60% to more than 321,000 giving it the second highest COVID death toll in the world.
- British jazz bassist, record producer Malcolm Cecil died age 84. He was a founding member of a leading UK jazz quintet of the late 1950s, the Jazz Couriers and later joined Cyril Davies and Alexis Korner to form the original line-up of Blues Incorporated. Cecil subsequently collaborated with Robert Margouleff to form the duo Tonto's Expanding Head Band, which led to them collaborating on and co-producing several of Stevie Wonder's Grammy-winning albums of the early 1970s..
- Malcolm Cecil, Bassist.
On this day in 2020
- Linda Roper, TikTok Star.
- Azam Khan, Pakistani squash player (British Open 1959-62), who died from COVID-19 pandemic at 95.
- Jan Howard [Lula Grace Johnson], American country music singer and songwriter (For Loving You), who died at 91.
- Tom Coburn, American politician (Sen-R-Oklahoma 2005-2015, Rep-R-Oklahoma 1995-2001), who died at 72.
- US President Donald Trump makes grim projection that 240,000 American could die from COVID-19 pandemic, even with restrictions in place.
On this day in 2019
- European parliament bans single-use plastics, including cutlery and straws by 2021.
- Study of a 71 year-old British woman who has never felt pain, for the first time understood as due to a gene mutation, published in British Journal of Anaesthesia.
- TV SERIES
- Abby's: Season 1 is released. Abby (Natalie Morales) runs an unlicensed, makeshift bar in the backyard of her San Diego home where some of her regulars include Fred (Neil Flynn), Beth (Jessica Chaffin), and James (Leonard Ouzts) in this comedy from Josh Malmuth.
- GAMING: PC
- Warparty for PC is released. Warparty is a real-time strategy game set in the stone-age era. You will build your base, recruit and control a group of soldiers, fight and tame fierce dinosaurs and direct the flow of combat. Proper management of resources, skills and map awareness will lead you to victory.
- GAMING: SWITCH
- Yoshi's Crafted World for Switch is released. Discover the flip side of Yoshis world. Lead Yoshi on a brand new adventure that will turn everything youve come to expect from side-scrolling games upside down! Explore a great, big world decorated like a miniature diorama in a new art style for the franchise, where each side-scrolling stage has the traditional front side as well as a flip side with different views and surprises. Look for items throughout the stage as Yoshi makes his way to the goal. You can even join up with a friend.Features:* Join Yoshi in this new action platforming game * Each course offers both a main path and a hidden path that offers different views and surprises* The lively art style looks like a minature diorama * Enjoy simultaneous 2-player action
- She Remembered Caterpillars for Switch is released. She Remembered Caterpillars is a color-matching puzzle game with an unsettling fungipunk aesthetic. Set in a phantasgamorphic world of writhing caterpillars, brightly-colored Gammies, and living architecture, the game will have players eavesdropping on what appears to be one scientist’s quest to save her father. As the chapters progress, more of this strange universe will reveal itself: what manner of cataclysm occurred here? Who are the players involved? And what exactly are the Gammies doing in these dreamscapes?
On this day in 2018
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un meets Chinese leader Xi Jinping in Beijing, China, his first trip outside of North Korea since coming to power in 2011.
- George Ezra was at No.1 on the UK album chart with his second studio album Staying at Tamara’s. It became the UK's best selling artist album of the year in 2018 and was nominated for British Album of the Year at the 2019 Brit Awards..
- TV SERIES
- Alex, Inc.: Season 1 is released. In this sitcom based on Alex Blumberg’s Gimlet Media podcast "StartUp, "a journalist (Zach Braff) quits his job to start his own company.
- The Americans: Season 6 is released. Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth's (Keri Russell) plans to return to Russia are stymied and their daughter becomes involved in the spy game in the sixth and final season of the espionage drama.
- Captain Steve Smith and David Warner are suspended by Cricket Australia for 12 months, and Cameron Bancroft (9 months) for their part in the infamous ball-tampering scandal in South Africa.
On this day in 2017
- Britain introduces 1st new pound coin in 30 years with secret security feature inside to stop counterfeiting.
- Cyclone Debbie strikes north east Queensland coast as a category 4 storm.
- US confirms likely it is behind the air strike in Mosul, Iraq, that led to collapse of a building that killed more than 100 civilians.
- Tom Cosgrove, American football player, Wilkes-Barre, born in United States.
- Enn Vetemaa, Novelist.
- Janine Sutto, French Canadian actress and comedian (Guide de la petite vengeance), who died of natural causes at 95.
- Ronald Hines, British actor (Not in Front of the Children, Pack of Lies), who died at 87.
- GAMING: PC
- Narcosis for PC is released. Narcosis is a survival story set at the hostile depths of the Pacific Ocean. Stranded after an accident, an industrial diver takes desperate steps to surface before his oxygen - and sanity - give out.
- Bush Hockey League for PC is released. Aggressive hockey is back! Experience hockey the way it was meant to be played in this old school arcade style hockey game where blood on the ice is just another day at the rink. Big moustaches, no helmets, dirty hits, bench-clearing brawls, goalie fights, and stick fights – that’s Old Time Hockey.
- GAMING: PLAYSTATION 4
- FATED: The Silent Oath for PlayStation 4 is released. FATED is an virtual reality action-adventure experience set in the Norse lands during Ragnarök.
- Dark Souls III: The Ringed City for PlayStation 4 is released. The Ringed City is the final DLC pack for Dark Souls III. Journey to the world’s end to search for the Ringed City and encounter new lands, new bosses, new enemies with new armor, magic and items. Experience the epic final chapter of a dark world that could only be created by the mind of Hidetaka Miyazaki.
- Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 Remix for PlayStation 4 is released. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix is an HD remastered collection of 6 Kingdom Hearts experiences available for the first time on PS4.
- MLB The Show 17 for PlayStation 4 is released. With expanded missions, exclusive rewards, and all new live contentthat responds quickly to real-life baseball events, there are more ways to enjoy the Diamond Dynasty. Test your deck building skills in all new Events, which challenge you to build a team based on specific event themes.
- Rain World for PlayStation 4 is released. Assume the role of a nomadic slugcat, both predator and prey in a broken ecosystem. Grab your spear and brave the industrial wastes, hunting enough food to survive, but be wary— other, bigger creatures have the same plan... and slugcats look delicious.
- Snake Pass for PlayStation 4 is released. As Noodle the snake, slither, wriggle, curl, coil, and climb your way to the top of Haven Tor in this one-of-a-kind puzzle adventure from award winning independent studio Sumo Digital.
- The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series - A New Frontier Episode 3: Above the Law for PlayStation 4 is released. After the events of 'Ties That Bind: Part Two', Javier struggles to find a role in his family. Meanwhile, tension within the walls of Richmond grow. Will Clementine and the rest of the group turn against Javier? It may be time to choose between the family you're born into and the family you've made.
- GAMING: SWITCH
- Has-Been Heroes for Switch is released. Embark on an epic journey with the Has-Been Heroes, a group of legendary champions once celebrated throughout the kingdom - almost forgotten until the King has one more quest, the most epic of them all:TO TAKE THE TWIN PRINCESSES TO SCHOOL!Key features:* Meet the epic band of heroes as the young and eager Rogue, joining the company of the wise monk Metacles, the giant-wrestling warrior Crux... wait until you meet the others, incl. the Anthropologist turned Mexican Wrestler, the ever-vigilant and paranoid Bodyguard, and many more!* Unlock and collect hundreds of game-changing items and spells, boosting the heroes' powers and making each run unique!* Combine spells for devastating effects, learning the power of magic as you gain more elements.* Face countless monsters, each bigger and more menacing than the next. Can you wipe out the army of evil led by the Great Ghoul?* In roguelike fashion, die and try again - choose your heroes wisely and prepare for battle!
- GAMING: XBOX ONE
- Vikings: Wolves of Midgard for Xbox One is released. Fear the wolves. They are cold, they are hungry - and they will stop at nothing to surviveRagnarok. Legend has it that when the coldest winter descends, the Jotan will return to take their vengeance against the Gods of Asgard. The world is on the road to perdition and the fate of Midgard hangs in the balance. But when the Fire and Frost Giants begin to merge their armies, they encounter the clan of the Ulfung the Wolves of Midgard. Bloody, but unbowed following the destruction of their village, this notorious band of ostracized Viking warriors are determined to seize their destiny and save the world. As clan chief, you must save Midgard from complete annihilation, and spearhead the charge to vanquish the fiendish creatures of the Fimbulwinter.* Fantasy Meets Norse MythologyTravel the realms of earthly Midgard, freezing Niflheim and boiling Balheim, either as a fierce Viking warrior or merciless shieldmaiden.*The Deadly FimbulwinterWithstand the deathly colds and protect yourself from exposure to natures wrath in order to survive.* Tribute To The GodsCollect blood from fallen enemies and sacrifice it at the altar to gain gifts from the Gods to enhance your powers.* Berserker RageLet your anger take hold by activating Rage Mode to overwhelm your enemies in bloodthirsty combat.* The Art Of CombatPerfect your skills with each weapon to unlock their true potential, including swords, bows and spell-powered canes.* The Power Of The GodsMake the abilities of the Gods your own by equipping power-infused amulets, like the Talismans of Thor or Loki. Put your new skills to the test by competing in the Trials of the Gods to earn further rewards.* TeamworkTeam up with a friend and journey to the Shores of Midgard together in an epic two player online co-op mode. Choose between four difficulty levels to suit your skills and talents. Do you dare attempt the unrelenting hardcore mode?
- Ahmed "Kathy" Kathrada, South African anti-apartheid activist and politician, who died at 87.
On this day in 2016
- James Noble, American actor (Benson,1776, Airplane II: The Sequel), who died of a stroke at 94.
- Peggy Fortnum, British Illustrator (first to draw Paddington Bear), who died at 96.
- GAMING: PC
- NightCry for PC is released. NightCry is set on a cruise ship, and you have been invited along for the cruise of a (possibly short) lifetime. While your surroundings are luxurious and the guests are friendly, not everything is as it should be. The guests and the crew start to turn up dead, the victims of some foul murderer.
- Lucky's Tale for PC is released. [Oculus Rift VR-Exclusive] Lucky's Tale is a platforming adventure game designed exclusively for the Oculus Rift. Join Lucky as he runs, jumps, climbs and spins his way through bright, colorful worlds filled with thrilling challenges, wacky creatures, and all the shiny things a little fox could ever want. Built from the ground up for virtual reality, the game invites you to step inside a vibrant, living world like never before. Whether you’re racing with Lucky through lush trees, dodging swamp pits, battling menacing bosses, or mastering mini-games, you’ll feel like you’re really there thanks to the magic of VR. [Playful]
- Chronos for PC is released. Chronos is an atmospheric RPG that chronicles a hero's lifelong quest to save their homeland from a great evil.
- ADR1FT for PC is released. Adrift is an immersive First Person Experience (FPX) that recounts the story of an astronaut in danger. Floating quietly within the wreckage of a destroyed space station with no memories and a critically damaged EVA suit, the lone survivor struggles to understand the cause of the catastrophic event that killed everyone on board. The player must fight to stay alive by exploring the wreckage for precious resources and overcome the challenges of the unforgiving environment to repair the damaged emergency escape vehicle and safely return home. [505 Games]
On this day in 2015
- Douglas Leedy, American composer, who died at 77.
- Gene Saks, American actor and director (One & Only, Prisoner of 2nd Ave), who died at 93.
On this day in 2014
- 2 cases of Ebola are reported in Liberia among people who have travelled to Guinea.
- Tickets for Kate Bush first live shows in 35 years sold out in less than 15 minutes. The Before the Dawn concerts, which were booked to take place this August and September, marked the singer's first return to the stage since The Tour Of Life in 1979. Demand was so high that the singer's own website, as well as some ticket-selling sites, crashed as people tried to log on..
- Russia increases the price of gas to the Ukraine by 80%.
- Adela Bors, Dancer, born in Moldova.
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- Blumenthal is released. Celebrated playwright, Harold Blumenthal, has passed away after succumbing to cardiac arrest while laughing at his own joke. Now, Harold’s estranged and jealous brother, Saul, must confront his personal hang-ups to deliver himself from an epic bout of constipation. Meanwhile, Saul’s wife Cheryl and son Ethan must grapple with their own personal obstacles through a set of circumstances so improbably ironic they might as well have been lifted from one of Harold’s plays.
- Hide Your Smiling Faces is released. Two brothers come of age through the experience of a friend’s mysterious death. The event ripples under the surface of their town, unsettling the brothers and their friends in a way that they can’t fully understand. Once familiar interactions begin to take on a macabre tone in light of the tragic accident, leading Eric and Tommy to retreat into their wild surroundings. As the two brothers vocally face the questions they have about mortality, they simultaneously hold their own silent debates within their minds that build into seemingly insurmountable moral peaks.
- Finding Vivian Maier is released. Who is Vivian Maier? Now considered one of the 20th century's greatest street photographers, Vivian Maier was a mysterious nanny who secretly took over 100,000 photographs that went unseen during her lifetime. Since buying her work by chance at auction, amateur historian John Maloof has crusaded to put this prolific photographer in the history books. Maier's strange and riveting life and art are revealed through never-before-seen photographs, films, and interviews with dozens who thought they knew her. [IFC Films]
- Mistaken for Strangers is released. In 2010, rock band The National were about to embark on the biggest tour of their career. After ten years as a band, and five critically acclaimed albums, they were finally enjoying wider recognition. Lead singer Matt Berninger invited his younger brother, Tom, to join the tour's crew. A budding horror filmmaker, Tom - who is nine years younger than Matt and listens exclusively to heavy metal - decided to bring his camera along. Tom's at sea in the world of indie rock, and living in his brother's shadow brings out the younger sibling in him - he drinks, complains, and struggles to balance his ambition with his tour responsibilities. The result is a film about brothers and about making something of your own.
- MOVIES: PG13
- Noah is released. The epic, biblical tale of Noah and the ark.
- Cesar Chavez is released. Chronicling the birth of a modern American movement, Cesar Chavez tells the story of the famed civil rights leader and labor organizer torn between his duties as a husband and father and his commitment to securing a living wage for farm workers. Passionate but soft-spoken, Chavez embraced non-violence as he battled greed and prejudice in his struggle to bring dignity to people. Chavez inspired millions of Americans from all walks of life who never worked on a farm to fight for social justice. His triumphant journey is a remarkable testament to the power of one individual’s ability to change the world.
- MOVIES: R
- Breathe In is released. When a foreign exchange student arrives in a small upstate New York town, she challenges the dynamics of her host family's relationships and alters their lives forever.
- Sabotage is released. Members of an elite DEA task force find themselves being taken down one by one after they rob a drug cartel safe house.
- The Raid 2 is released. Following immediately after the events of The Raid, Ram (Iko Uwais) is forced to reinvent himself as an undercover cop in order to provide protection for his wife and child. Working for the anti-corruption taskforce led by the one person he can trust, Bunawar, he is given a mission to engage himself as an enforcer for a local mob boss, Bangun. Finding a way in through Bangun's son Uco, Rama must hunt for information linking Bangun with police force corruption. All the while, he harbors a dangerous and personal vendetta for revenge and justice that threatens to consume him- and bring both this mission and the organized crime syndicates crashing down. [Sony Pictures Classics]
- GAMING: PC
- Platformines for PC is released. Platformines is a unique 2D platformer packed with exploration, RPG and shooter elements, set in a vast 16-bit underground world! Customise your character, master all difficulty levels and literally jump to the top of the leaderboards to prove your skills!
On this day in 2013
- Pope Francis becomes the first Pope to wash the feet of women in the Maundy Thursday service.
- 15 students are killed and 7 are injured after a mortar strikes Damascus University.
- American rock guitarist and session musician Hugh McCracken died of leukemia in New York City at the age of 70. He appeared on many recordings by Steely Dan, Donald Fagen, Billy Joel, Roland Kirk, Roberta Flack, B. B. King, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, The Monkees, Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, James Taylor, Phoebe Snow, Bob Dylan, Carly Simon, Graham Parker, Eric Carmen, Loudon Wainwright III, Aretha Franklin, Van Morrison, The Four Seasons, Hall and Oates, Gary Wright and Andy Gibb. Because of such high demand for his work, McCracken declined Paul McCartney's invitation to help form his new band, Wings after appearing on his 1971 album Ram..
- Justin Bieber ran into some trouble at Munich airport when customs officials detained and quarantined his monkey.Bieber had recently been given the capuchin monkey as a pet by record producer Mally Mall. Bieber apparently brought the monkey along to join him on the Austrian and German leg of his European tour, but he didn't have the documentation required to bring his new friend into Germany. Bieber went on to perform in Munich while the monkey was kept in the custody of authorities..
- Hugh McCracken, American session guitarist (Aretha Franklin; Paul McCartney; Steely Dan; Billy Joel; John Lennon), who died of luekemia at 70.
- Richard Griffiths, British actor, who died from complications from heart surgery at 65.
- Soraya Jiménez, Mexican weightlifter, who died from a heart attack at 70.
- GAMING: 3DS
- HarmoKnight for 3DS is released. HarmoKnight is an action packed rhythm game where you use Tempo's Music Note Staff to beat drums, crash cymbals, and smack enemies through more than 50 levels with unique boss fights.
- GAMING: PC
- Dungeon Hearts for PC is released. Dungeon Hearts could best be described as a blend of the ever-escalating pace of Canabalt, the puzzle/action hybrid style of Puzzle Quest, and the nostalgia of old-school Japanese RPG's such as Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior. A brave party of adventurers dashes quickly from battle to battle, using a match-3 puzzle system to defeat their opponents. Mastering the balance between offense and defense is key. Between each battle, the player must quickly level up the warriors, as each encounter is more difficult than the last. As the party wades through wave after wave of enemies, they must adapt to the twists and turns thrown at them as the gameplay evolves. If they can survive long enough, they may encounter the Dark One himself!
- Tactical Intervention for PC is released. Tactical Intervention is the latest creation from Counter Strike co-creator, Minh ‘Gooseman’ Le. A first-person tactical shooter, Tactical Intervention revisits the classic battle of Terrorists vs. Counter Terrorists and expands it to include fast-paced driving combat, intelligent AI hostages, controllable K9 units, dead drop rappelling and a wide variety of high powered modern weapons and authentic combat gear including breaching charges and riot shields. Combat takes place in a series of real world locations allowing players to fight atop a skyscraper and inside a subway train, or to ransack a shopping mall and race down a highway.
- 143 rebels and 20 government troop are killed in conflict in Pibor County, Sudan.
- Banks in Cyprus re-open after having been closed for two weeks; the government agrees a 10 billion euro bailout deal with the EU and IMF.