May 11 Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Royal Ploughing Ceremony is being celebrated in Thailand
Today in Astrology
- People born on this day are Taurus as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
- Arturo Del Puerto, TV Actor, born in Puerto Rico.
- Chukwudike Damian Akuwudike, Comedian, born in Nigeria.
- Paul Gambit, Director, born in Nigeria.
- Peter Philips, Makeup Artist, born in Antwerp, Belgium.
- Sol Pena, TikTok Star, born in Dominican Republic.
- Talitha Ghetti, World Music Singer, born in Italy.
On this day in 2022
- Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh shot and killed by Israeli forces in city of Jenin, in the West Bank.
- Alexander Toradze, Soviet Georgian-American concert pianist and music professor (University of Indiana,1991-2017), who died of heart failure at 69.
On this day in 2021
- First major US offshore windfarm off the coast of Massachusetts approved by Biden administration.
- China census figures show country's population 1.41 billion people, growth at its slowest since 1960s, (+0.53 down from +0.57).
- Northern Ireland inquest into 1971 Ballymurphy killing of ten people finds people were innocent and killed (nine by soldiers) using unjustified force.
- Poppy Herbert, Family Member, born in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Norman Lloyd, TV Actor.
On this day in 2020
- World Health Organization warns “extreme vigilance” needed as many countries begin easing lockdowns.
- American singer-songwriter Moon Martin died age 74. Originally a rockabilly artist, he wrote the songs 'Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)', made famous by English singer Robert Palmer, and 'Cadillac Walk', a hit for Willy DeVille..
- Colombian airline Avianca, and world's 2nd oldest, becomes 1st major airline to file for bankruptcy due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Colombian airline Avianca, and world's 2nd oldest, becomes 1st major airline to file for bankruptcy.
- Francisco Aguilar, Spanish soccer forward (3 caps; Real Madrid), who died at 71.
- Jerry Stiller, American comedian (Frank Constanza-Seinfeld, Stiller & Meara), who died of natural causes at 92.
- Jerry Stiller, Movie Actor.
- John "Moon" Martin, American rockabilly singer-songwriter and guitarist (Bad Case Of Loving You), who died at 74.
- John "Moon" Martin, American rockabilly singer-songwriter and guitarist (" Bad Case Of Loving You"), who died at 74.
On this day in 2019
- Militants attack Zaver Pearl-Continental Hotel in Gwadar, Pakistan killing five, Balochistan Liberation Army claim responsibility.
- American actress and #MeToo activist Alyssa Milano urges women to go on a "sex strike" after Georgia state passes new abortion law.
- Carbon dioxide levels in the earth's atmosphere hit levels not seen for 3 million years at 415 parts per million, according to the Mauna Loa Observatory, Hawaii.
- South African parliamentary elections return ruling Cyril Ramaphosa's ANC party to power with reduced majority (58%).
- Pua Magasiva, TV Actor.
- Silver King, Wrestler.
- Harold Lederman, American boxing judge & analyst (HBO), who died of cancer at 79.
On this day in 2018
- Most popular names in the US for 2017 revealed as Emma for girls, Liam for boys.
- Mass murder-suicide in Margaret River, Australia, grandfather shoots six members of his family and himself.
- Mikhail Alperin, Pianist.
- Josh Greenfeld, American author & screenwriter (A Child Called Noah), who died at 90.
- Scott Hutchinson, Scottish musician (Frightened Rabbit), found dead after a suffering from mental illness at 36.
On this day in 2017
- Yale Lary, American NFL safety Hall of Famer (Detroit Lions), who died at 86.
On this day in 2016
- Brazilian senate votes to suspend President Dilma Rousseff and put her on trial for budgetary violations.
- David King, British graphic designer (album covers for Jimi Hendrix and The Who), photographer (I Am King), and historian (The Commissar Vanishes), who died at 73.
- Dutch Hoag, Race Car Driver.
- Jim Pothecary, South African cricketer (South African pace bowler on 1960 England tour), who died at 82.
- Jim Pothecary, South African cricket medium pace bowler (3 Tests,9 wickets; Western Province), who died at 82.
On this day in 2015
- Record price for a work of art at auction: Picasso's The Women of Algiers (Version ‘O’) sells for US$179.3 million at Christies in New York.
- Park Na-Eun, Reality Star, born in Germany.
- Mona Mona Family, YouTube Star, born in Kuwait.
- Nick Dioguardi, Race Car Driver.
On this day in 2014
- American bass guitarist Ed Gagliardi best known as the original bass player with Foreigner died at age 62 after an eight-year battle with cancer. In 1981, Gagliardi formed the band Spys with former Foreigner keyboardist Al Greenwood..
- PGA Players Championship, TPC at Sawgrass: German Martin Kaymer leads after each round to win by 1 stroke ahead of Jim Furyk; first 8-figure purse in golf with winner's share $1.8 million.
- Thousands protest against the construction of a waste incineration plant in Hangzhou, China.
- Yvonne Cartier, Dancer.
- Reg Gasnier, Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame centre and captain (36 Tests; 3 World Cups; St. George RLFC), who died at 74.
- Reg Gasnier, Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame centre and captain (36 Tests; 3 World Cup; St. George), who died at 74.
- Ed Gagliardi, American bass guitarist (Foreigner,1976-79 - "Feels Like The First Time"), who died from cancer at 62.
- Ed Gagliardi, American bass guitarist, who died from cancer at 62.
On this day in 2013
- English FA Cup Final, Wembley Stadium, London (86,254): Wigan Athletic upsets Manchester City,1-0; Ben Watson scores 90+1'winner.
- Barcelona wins its fourth La Liga title in four years.
- Bayern Munich set a new Bundesliga points record of 91.
- 43 people are killed in two car bombings in Reyhanli, Turkey.
- Oliver "Ollie" Mitchell, American musician & bandleader (The Wrecking Crew), who died of cancer at 86.
- Ollie Mitchell, Trumpet Player.
- Jack Butler, American football player, who died from complications from staph infection at 85.
- Jack Butler, American Pro Football HOF cornerback (First-team All-Pro 1957-59; Pro Bowl 1955–58; Pittsburgh Steelers), who died from complications from staph infection at 85.