SundaySun, November 29th Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Bon Om Touk (Day4) is being celebrated in Cambodia
- Liberation Day is being celebrated in Albania
- Unity Day is being celebrated in Vanuatu
- William V.S. Tubman's Birthday is being celebrated in Liberia
- People born on this day are Sagittarius as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
On this day in 2023
On this day in 2022
- Canadian scientists announce discovery of two new minerals elaliite and elkinstantonite, never seen on earth before from 'Nightfall'meteorite found in Somalia.
- GAMING: PC
- The Knight Witch for PC is released. The Knight Witch is a metroidvania adventure game with fast-paced, shoot 'em up combat set in a beautifully hand-drawn world.Cast devastating card-based spells, forge close bonds, and make moral choices all in your quest to save your home and discover who's behind the War Golem invasion.
- GAMING: PLAYSTATION 5
- Need for Speed Unbound for PlayStation 5 is released. START AT THE BOTTOM, RACE TO THE TOP. The world is your canvas in Need for Speed™ Unbound. Prove you have what it takes to win The Grand, Lakeshore’s ultimate street racing challenge. Across four intense weeks of racing, earn enough cash to enter weekly qualifiers, beat the competition, and make your mark on the street racing scene while outdriving and outsmarting the cops. Pack your garage with precision-tuned, custom rides and light up the streets with your unique style, exclusive fits, and a vibrant global soundtrack led by A$AP Rocky and AWGE that bumps in every corner of the world. Express yourself to the fullest with the freshest new art styles and signature tags that represent what you're all about. With separate single and multiplayer campaigns, this latest edition in the Need for Speed™ franchise from Criterion Games™ delivers hours of electric, adrenaline-pumping action.• Graffiti comes to life in Need for Speed™ Unbound with an all-new, unique visual style that blends elements of the freshest street art with the most realistic looking cars in Need for Speed™ history. Access a brand-new toolkit of high-energy visual and sound effects to express your driving skills, including Burst Nitrous, a new boost tactic that delivers a dizzying rush of speed.• To get to the top, you gotta take risks. Choose how and when to put it all on the line, pulling huge drifts on the street, outdriving the cops, or placing side bets with your own earnings against rival racers. Time is money, so find the fastest way to earn enough cash to enter the weekly qualifiers and make it to Lakeshore’s ultimate race, The Grand.• The more you race, the more you build heat. While the cops pile on the pressure, you gotta make tactical decisions using new escape mechanics to take control of the chase. Do you outrun the cops, battle them head on, or hide out in Lakeshore's underground? Run these streets and you’ll reap the rewards.• Pull up to a Meetup and show off your unique style with hundreds of cosmetic items to choose from, including exclusive gear from some of the world’s most pioneering fashion innovators. Extend that look to your ride, transforming your cars with unique wraps and cutaways for the ultimate legendary custom. And when you take first, don't forget to stunt on the competition with your own personal win poses.
- GAMING: SWITCH
- Soccer Story for Switch is released. It's been a year since The Calamity tore apart the very foundations of soccer as we know it, and since then, Soccer Inc. has made dang well sure that not a soul has been allowed to even look at a soccer ball, let alone kick it.Soccer may have been banned across the world... but now there is hope! A magical soccer ball has chosen you, our Savior of Soccer!Soccer Story is a physics-driven adventure RPG, where every problem can be solved with your trusty magic ball. Along the way, you'll need to best bad guys in 1v1s, compete in a range of different sports (with your soccer ball, of course), and sometimes use your brain just as much as your ballsIn a world that has long forgotten The Beautiful Game, can you remind them why soccer is top of the table, and best the most formidable teams, including the local toddlers and a group of sharks?
- Chuck Stobart, American college football coach (University of Toledo, University of Utah, University of Memphis), who died at 90.
On this day in 2021
- British socialite and former girlfriend of Jeffery Epstein Ghislaine Maxwell found guilty of sex trafficking in a federal court in Manhattan.
- Jack Dorsey announces he is stepping down as CEO of Twitter, to be replaced by Parag Agrawal.
- David Gulpilil, Movie Actor.
- Arlene Dahl, American actress (“Journey to the Center of the Earth" : "Ambush" ; "One Life To Live”), TV panelist (What's My Line), and perfumer, who died at 96.
- FIFA Ballon d'Or: Argentina and PSG forward Lionel Messi wins his record 7th award from Robert Lewandowski; FC Barcelona attacking midfielder Alexia Putellas is Women's World Player of the Year.
- LaMarr Hoyt, American baseball pitcher (AL Cy Young Award 1983; AL wins leader 1982-83; Chicago WS), who died from cancer at 66.
On this day in 2020
- Joe Biden and Kamala Harris announce the first all-female Communications team for the White House.
- April Boy Regino, Songwriter.
- Ben Bova, American sci-fi author (Exiled from Earth), who died at 88.
- Papa Bouba Diop, Senegalese soccer midfielder (63 caps; Lens, Fulham, Portsmouth, West Ham Utd), who died from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis at 42.
- Viorel Turcu, Romanian soccer midfielder (7 caps; FC Arge? Pite?ti, Steaua Bucure?ti, FC Olt Scornice?ti), who died from a heart attack at 60.
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- My Psychedelic Love Story is released. Errol Morris’ latest documentary takes us on an Alice in Wonderland adventure deep inside a largely forgotten episode of the early ’70s. Told through the lens of Swiss-born, Paris-raised free spirit Joanna Harcourt-Smith, Timothy Leary’s lover, the film examines the twists and turns that led Leary, the High Priest of LSD, to seemingly sell out the millions he urged to “turn on, tune in and drop out” and become a narc in 1974. At the heart of the story is the woman Leary described as his “perfect love.” Was she a government pawn, a Mata Hari, or simply a beautiful, young, intelligent woman on the trip of a lifetime? Through a series of candid interviews, Morris and Harcourt-Smith reexamine this chaotic period, resulting in a singular snapshot of the early 1970s’ cultural landscape-and its profound impact on the trajectory of one woman’s life. (Showtime)
On this day in 2019
- Wood fragment believed to be from Jesus'manger returned to Bethlehem after 1400 years by Pope Francis.
- Terrorist knife attack at Fishmongers Hall by London Bridge, kills two and injures three, attacker previously imprisoned for 2012 terror offence.
- American musician and songwriter, Irving Burgie regarded as one of the greatest composers of Caribbean music died aged 95. He composed 34 songs for Harry Belafonte, including eight of the 11 songs on the Belafonte album Calypso (1956), the first album of any kind to sell one million copies. He was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2007..
- K-pop stars Jung Joon-young and Choi Jong-hoon sentenced to prison for gang-raping unconscious fans and distributing footage of it (Jung).
- Jackson Tracker, Family Member, born in United States.
- Irving Burgie (Lord Burgess), American Caribbean music composer and musician (Day-O), who died at 95.
- Harold Painter, Race Car Driver.
- Ruth Anderson, American flutist, classical and electronic music composer (I Come Out of Your Sleep), who died at 91 .
- Lizzy Winkle, Twitter Star.
- Lizzy_Winkle, Twitter Star.
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- After Parkland is released. In the aftermath of the February shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that left 17 dead, filmmakers Emily Taguchi and Jake Lefferman traveled to Parkland and began filming with students who endured gunfire and the parents who lost their children in the crosshairs. After Parkland is an intimate chronicle of families as they navigate their way through the unthinkable; reckoning with unexpected loss, journeying through grief, and searching for new meaning.
- MOVIES: NR
- Temblores is released. When handsome and charismatic Pablo arrives at his affluent family’s house everyone is eagerly awaiting the return of their beloved son, devoted father and caring husband. A seemingly exemplary pillar of Guatemala City’s Evangelical Christian community, Pablo’s announcement that he intends to leave his wife for another man sends shock waves through the family. As Pablo tries to acclimate to his new life in the city’s gay subculture with the liberated Francisco, his ultra-religious family does everything in its power to get their prodigal son back on track, no matter the cost.
- Labyrinth was released by Doon Kanda. This is the debut full-length release for the London-based producer/videographer who has who has collaborated with likes of Björk, Arca and FKA twigs.
- GAMING: SWITCH
- Where the Water Tastes Like Wine for Switch is released. Where the Water Tastes Like Wine is a Narrative-Adventure game about traveling, sharing stories, and surviving manifest destiny. Featuring gorgeous hand-drawn illustrations, Where the Water Tastes Like Wine combines 2D visuals with a 3D overworld US map. Players wander across a folkloric Depression era United States at their own pace, meeting strangers with their own stories to tell. Through these interactions, players will be able to collect unique stories which can then be re-told to unlock new interactions. In this way the in-game stories themselves act as a currency to progress through the game, and it’s up to the player to pair the right story with the unique needs of each of the characters that you will encounter throughout your travels. Only through these right pairings will characters reveal their true selves, and bestow you with the most powerful stories, the true ones which reveal something about their own lives. In Where The Water Tastes Like Wine, stories organically take on a life of their own as they grow larger and transform as they're told- and re-told.
- Seymour Siwoff, American sports statistician (president and CEO Elias Sports Bureau 1952-2019), who died at 99.
On this day in 2018
- Tens of thousands Indian farmers protest the agrarian crisis at parliament in Delhi.
- Charles Harrison, American industrial designer (view finder), who died at 87.
- MOVIES: PG13
- Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle is released. Mowgli (Rohan Chand) has never truly belonged in either the wilds of the jungle or the civilized world of man. Now he must navigate the inherent dangers of each on a journey to discover where he truly belongs.
- GAMING: PLAYSTATION 4
- Rival Megagun for PlayStation 4 is released. Transform into your Mega Gunship boss form to blast your rival head-on in this unique shooting game with a competitive twist.
- GAMING: SWITCH
- ABZU for Switch is released. Discover a lush hidden world as you descend into the heart of the ocean, where ancient secrets lie forgotten and encounters with majestic creatures await.ABZU is an epic descent into the depths of the sea, where players will explore beautifully rendered ocean environments with fluid swimming controls. The experience draws inspiration from the deep innate narrative that we all carry within our subconscious: the story of ABZU is a universal myth that resonates across cultures. The name references a concept from the oldest mythologies; it is the combination of the two ancient words AB, meaning ocean, and ZU, meaning to know. ABZU is the ocean of wisdom.
- Asterix & Obelix XXL 2 for Switch is released. More than 10 years following their last appearance on games consoles and PC, Asterix and Obelix are back and in better shape than ever! Asterix & Obelix XXL 2 is a superb blend of action and adventure for all ages, with a winning combination of comedy and brawling. But where has Getafix gone? The long-bearded druid has disappeared after betraying his own people for Julius Caesar! The Gaulish village is in uproar! They must find out the truth! Always ready for a fight, Asterix and Obelix are sent to Rome on a mission by their chief Vitalstatistix. There, they find a new amusement park - Las Vegum - built by the famous Roman emperor. To what end? What is Getafix hiding?
- Cattails for Switch is released. Become a cat! Cattails is a unique animal simulation RPG. Hunt, fight, explore, and socialize in an expansive open world. Get married, have a litter of kittens, and befriend your neighbors. Play as a feral cat that roams an expansive wilderness. Hunt for food, fight cats from other colonies, and become friends (or enemies!) with your neighbors. Romance one of twelve eligible cats, raise a family of cute kittens, and train them by taking them with you on your adventures.
- GAMING: XBOX ONE
- The Gardens Between for Xbox One is released. Manipulate the flow of time to solve mind-bending puzzles while following best friends Arina and Frendt. Move time forward and backward, revisiting shared precious childhood memories scattered amongst surreal garden islands.
- Ruth Haring, American chess player and President of the US Chess Federation, who died at 63.
On this day in 2017
- Bosnian war criminal Slobodan Praljak commits suicide by poison in court at The Hague after 20 year prison term read out.
- American TV host Matt Lauer is fired from NBC's "Today" show after an allegation of sexual misconduct.
- Belmiro De Azevedo, Entrepreneur.
- Slobodan Praljak, Bosnian Croat general & war criminal, commits suicide at 72.
On this day in 2016
- Former NFL player Darren Sharper sentenced to 20 years in prison for a series of rapes.
- Alajandro, Model, born in Spain.
- TV SERIES
- Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath: Season 1 is released. In the docuseries Leah Remini talks about Scientology and interviews former Scientologists about their experiences.
- GAMING: PC
- Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters for PC is released. Natural Disasters features a catalog of catastrophes to challenge mayor-players everywhere, including planning with early warning systems and emergency routes, devastating and destructive disaster effects, and caring for the populace as they struggle to rebuild. The expansion will also update Cities: Skylines with a new scenario editor and gameplay mode, allowing players to finally win – or lose – the game on their own terms.
- GAMING: PLAYSTATION 4
- Crystal Rift for PlayStation 4 is released. A grid-based dungeon-crawler in classic first person perspective. Crystal Rift is inspired by classic dungeon games such as Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder with grid-based movement. It has been developed primarily for VR, but is also an experience for those without headsets.
- How We Soar for PlayStation 4 is released. How We Soar is a VR flight experience that lets you take up the reins of a giant Phoenix and explore an enchanting papercraft world. Seated on the back of this mythical creature, fly throughout the diaries and works of the “Author.” Reconstruct and bring life to the pages of his creations, uncovering his personal story as you soar.
- Pinball FX2 VR for PlayStation 4 is released. A new pinball game from the digital pinball pioneers Zen Studios. Pinball FX2 VR features advanced physics, detailed 3D graphics, and original tables from the pinball wizards at Zen.
- Steins; Gate 0 for PlayStation 4 is released. If you can't save the on you love...... How can you save humanity?- A new story in the critically-acclaimed Steins; Gate series.- From the depths of despair - explore a whole new world line- Your favourite characters return alongside a brand new cast!
On this day in 2015
- 104th Davis Cup: Great Britain beats Belgium in Ghent 6-3,7-5,6-3,1st win since 1936.
- British Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton finishes 2nd in season-ending Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix to win his 3rd overall, and 2nd consecutive World Drivers Championship by 59 points from team mate Nico Rosberg.
- Actress and designer Mary-Kate Olsen at the age of 29 marries banker Oliver Sarkozy in New York.
- George Hadjinikos, Greek pianist and conductor, who died at 92.
- Joe Marston, Australian soccer defender (1954 FA Cup Final), who died at 89.
On this day in 2014
- Reality TV personality Snooki at the age of 27 weds Jionni LaValle at St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church in East Hanover, New Jersey.
- Mark Strand, American poet, editor and translator (Another Republic), who died at 80.
- TV SERIES
- Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever: Season 1 is released. The TV movie follows Grumpy Cat (voiced by Aubrey Plaza) and a 12-year-old named Chrystal (Megan Charpentier) as they try to save the pet store Grumpy Cat lives in.
On this day in 2013
- Dick Dodd, drummer and vocalist for The Standells on their 1966 hit 'Dirty Water', died of cancer at the age of 68. 'Dirty Water' became an anthem for sports fans in Boston with its refrain of "Boston, you're my home, "despite the group having no direct connection with the city..
- MOVIES: NOT RATED
- The Punk Singer is released. Kathleen Hanna, lead singer of the punk band Bikini Kill and dance-punk trio Le Tigre, rose to national attention as the reluctant but never shy voice of the riot grrrl movement. She became one of the most famously outspoken feminist icons, a cultural lightning rod. Her critics wished she would just shut-up, and her fans hoped she never would. So in 2005, when Hanna stopped shouting, many wondered why. [IFC Films]
- The Unbelievers is released. Renowned scientists Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss cross the globe as they speak publicly about the importance of science and reason in the modern world.
- MOVIES: PG13
- Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom is released. A chronicle of Nelson Mandela's life, from his childhood in a rural village through to his inauguration as the first democratically elected president of South Africa.