October 1 Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Cyprus Independence Day is being celebrated in Cyprus
- Day of teachers and educators is being celebrated in Uzbekistan
- Independence Day is being celebrated in Palau
- International Music Day is being celebrated in International
- National Day is being celebrated in China, Hong Kong, Macau
- Revolution Day is being celebrated in Algeria
- Tuvalu Day is being celebrated in Tuvalu
- World Ballet Day is being celebrated in International
Today in Astrology
- People born on this day are Libra as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
- Claudius Charles, Makeup Artist, born in Indonesia.
- Zabenaff, TikTok Star, born in Kazakhstan.
On this day in 2022
- Stampede at Indonesian soccer stadium kills 131 people in Malang city, East Java, started after police fire teargas at rioters in the crowd.
- Antonio Inoki, Wrestler.
- Kanji "Antonio" Inoki, Japanese pro wrestler (12 x world champion; NJPW/JWA), promoter, and politician (House of Councillors,1989-95 & 2013-19), who died at 79.
On this day in 2021
- Global COVID-19 pandemic death toll of recorded cases passes 5 million as the Delta variant continues to surge around the world.
- US COVID-19 pandemic death toll passes 700,000, with daily deaths averaging 1,900 a day.
- Rock singer David Lee Roth announces his retirement will follow a five-concert residency in Las Vegas in January 2022.
- Fred Hill, English soccer forward (2 caps; Bolton Wanderers 375 games), who died at 81.
- Earle Wells, New Zealand sailor (Olympic gold Flying Dutchman 1964), who died at 87.
On this day in 2020
- US White House aide Hope Hicks tests positive for COVID-19 pandemic.
- Zef Eisenberg, British ultra-speed racer (world's fastest motorbike on sand 201.5mph; fastest wheel powered vehicle 210.33mph) and founder Maximuscle, who died in car speed record crash at 47.
- Derek Mahon, Irish poet (A Disused Shed in Co Wexford), who died at 78.
- Derek Mahon, Poet.
On this day in 2019
- China celebrates 70th anniversary of Communism with military parade in Beijing with 15,000 soldiers.
- China celebrates 70th anniversary of Communism with military parade of 15,000 soldiers in Beijing.
- Former Dallas police Officer Amber Guyger found guilty of murdering her black neighbor in his apartment in landmark case on use of police force and racial bias.
- Indian government bans the export of onions, an important food staple to control prices, causing shortages in Bangladesh and Nepal.
- Law allowing teachers to carry guns in schools comes into effect in US state of Florida.
- Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex sue British newspaper The Mail on Sunday claiming it published her private letter.
- Political crisis in Peru as President Martín Vizcarra dissolves Congress over its refusal to support his anti-corruption reforms.
- Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders taken to hospital after suffering a heart attack.
- US Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders taken to hospital after suffering a heart attack.
- Peter Sissons, British newsreader (BBC, ITV, Question Time), who died at 77.
- Karel Gott, Czech singer 'Sinatra of the East', who died at 80.
- Karel Gott, Pop Singer.
- Beverly "Guitar" Watkins, American blues guitarist, and singer, who died of a heart attack at 80.
- Bob Weatherly, Race Car Driver.
On this day in 2018
- More than 80,000 American died of the flu during 2017-2018 winter, highest in ten years, according to US heath officials.
- French photographer Jean-Claude Arnault, at the center of a Nobel prize sexual assault scandal, sentenced to two years in prison for rape.
- The United States, Mexico and Canada agree a new trade deal to replace NAFTA.
- New trade deal announced between United States, Canada and Mexico (USMCA), replacing NAFTA.
- Nobel Prize for Medicine and Physiology awarded to James Allison and Tasuku Honjo for cancer treatment innovations.
- Graciano Rocchigiani, Boxer.
- Charles Aznavour [Shahnour Vaghinag Aznavourian], French-Armenian singer (Monsieur Carnavel, Tin Drum), who died at 94.
- Charles Aznavour [Shahnour Vaghinag Aznavourian], French-Armenian singer-songwriter (" She" ; "Monsieur Carnavel" ; "Tin Drum"), who died at 94.
On this day in 2017
- Former NFL sta O.J. Simpson is released from Nevada's Lovelock Prison after less than 9 years of detention of his 33 year sentence for armed robbery and kidnapping.
- Former NFL star O.J. Simpson is released from Nevada's Lovelock Prison after less than 9 years of detention of his 33 year sentence for armed robbery and kidnapping.
- Presidents Cup Golf, Liberty National GC: Dustin Johnson stars with 4.5 points as US routs International team,19-11; 7th straight American victory.
- Stephen Paddock shoots dead 58 people, injuring 489, at a concert in Las Vegas in the deadliest mass shooting in American history.
- Ray Ratcliff, Race Car Driver.
- Samuel I Newhouse Jr., American magazine publisher (Parade, Vogue, Vanity Fair), who died at 89.
- G.G., Instagram Star.
- Arthur "Art" Janov, American psychologist and psychotherapist notable for creating primal therapy (The Primal Scream), who died of natural causes at 93.
On this day in 2016
- TV host Louise Roe at the age of 33 weds Mackenzie Hunkin at the historic Eton College Chapel in Windsor, England.
- Daphne Odjig, Painter.
- Edda Heiðrún Backman, Icelandic stage and screen actress, singer, theater director, and painter, who died of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) at 58.
- Jagoda Kaloper, Movie Actress.
On this day in 2015
- Mudslide on the outskirts of Guatemala City leaves at least 131 dead and 300 missing.
- Cargo ship El Faro goes missing with 33 crew during Hurricane Joaquin near the Bahamas.
- A gunman kills 8 students and a teacher at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon.
- NY Yankees record the 10,000th win in their illustrious history, and also clinch wild card slot; beat the Red Sox,4-1, at a rainy New Yankee Stadium; NY bullpen ties MLB record with their 589th victim of the season.
- Caleb Logan Leblanc, YouTube Star.
- Don Edwards, American politician and civil rights champion (Rep-D-CA,1963-94), who died at 100.
On this day in 2014
- 41 children are killed by a suicide bombing on the Akrameh al-Makhzumi school in Homs, Syria.
- Actress Scarlett Johansson at the age of 30 weds advertising agency owner Romain Dauriac in Philipsburg, Montana.
- Lynsey de Paul, British singer and actress (Sugar Me), who died from a brain hemorrhage at 66.
On this day in 2013
- A partial United States federal government shutdown occurs as a result of political disagreements over operational spending.
- Tom Clancy, American author (Rainbow Six, The Hunt for Red October), who died aged 66.