October 21 Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Fulpati is being celebrated in Nepal
- President Ndadaye Day is being celebrated in Burundi
- St Ursula's Day is being celebrated in British Virgin Islands
Today in Astrology
- People born on this day are Libra as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
- Finn Snow, YouTube Star, born in Iceland.
- Hattanbado, Instagram Star, born in Saudi Arabia.
On this day in 2022
- Harry White, Australian jockey (Melbourne Cup: Think Big 1974,75; Arwon 1978; Hyperno 1979; Australian Racing HOF), who died from multiple sclerosis at 78.
On this day in 2021
- Actor Alec Baldwin shots cinematographer Halyna Hutchins dead and injures director Joel Souza with a prop gun in rehearsal on a film set at Bonanza Ranch, New Mexico.
- Syria's government says it has executed 24 people for starting devastating wildfires in 2020 that killed three.
- Bernard Haitink, Dutch conductor (Concertgebouw,1961-88; London Philharmonic,1967-79; Royal Opera Covent Garden,1987-2002), who died at 92.
- Einár, Rapper.
- Kathy Flores, American rugby union coach (United States women's team 2002-11; Brown University), who died at 66.
- (Nils) Einár [Grönberg], Swedish rapper (" Första klass" ; "Katten i trakten"), shot to death in suspected gang-related incident at 19.
On this day in 2020
- Parents of 545 children cannot be found that were separated at the US-Mexico border according to American Civil Liberties Union.
- Pope Francis backs same-sex civil unions in interview in documentary film "Francesco".
- Nasa Osiris-Rex spacecraft lands briefly on asteroid Bennu on mission to collect dust, largest sample from space since Apollo.
- FBI says Iran and Russia have US voter information and are trying to influence outcome of US election.
- 54th CMT Music Awards: Carrie Underwood, and Luke Bryan win.
- Spain becomes the first European country to record more than 1 million COVID-19 pandemic cases with the death toll at 34,366.
- Viola Smith, American drummer and bandleader (one of the first professional female drummers), who died at 107.
- Frank Bough, British sports and current affairs television presenter, who died at 87.
- Gordon Astall, English soccer forward (2 caps; Birmingham City 235 games,59 goals), who died from dementia at 93.
On this day in 2019
- Facebook says it has taken down four state-backed disinformation campaigns, three from Iran, one from Russia in addition to dozens earlier this year.
- Canadian Federal Election: Justin Trudeau's Liberal Party loses its majority but wins the most seats (157) to form a minority government.
- Australia's biggest newspapers all blank out their front pages in protest against press restrictions.
- Lebanon government approves economic reforms after 5 days of protests, largest in a decade.
- World's oldest natural pearl,8,000 years old, announced discovered during excavations at Marawah Island, near Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Thailand's King Vajiralongkorn strips his royal consort Sineenat Wongvajirapakdi of her titles for "misbehaviour and disloyalty against the monarch" two months after she was appointed to them.
- American rapper-singer Nicki Mainaj at the age of 35 weds childhood friend Kenneth "Zoo" Petty.
- American rapper-singer Nicki Minaj at the age of 35 weds childhood friend Kenneth "Zoo" Petty.
- Willie Brown, American Pro Football Hall of Fame cornerback, coach and executive (Super Bowl 1976,80,84; Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders), who died at 78.
On this day in 2018
- Train derails in Yilan County, Taiwan, killing 18 and injuring 178.
- Sectarian fighting between Muslim and Christian youths kill 55 at Kasuwan Magani, Nigeria.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus is presented with the Mark Twain Prize, comedy's top honor, at a ceremony in New York.
- Robert Faurisson, British-born French academic, who died at 89.
- Charles Wang, Entrepreneur.
On this day in 2017
- Spanish government suspends Catalonia's autonomy in the face of a deepening political crisis over the region's push for independence.
On this day in 2016
- Leonard Cohen released his last album, You Want It Darker,17 days before his death. Cohen was in poor health while the album was being made, and never went to the recording studio, relying on his son Adam to handle the sessions and integrate his tracks. The title track was awarded a Grammy Award for Best Rock Performance in January 2018..
- Richard Nicoll, Fashion Designer.
- Manfred Krug, German actor (Boxer), who died at 79.
On this day in 2015
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel says German view of Holocaust will not change, after Benjamin Netanyahu says idea came from Mufti of Jerusalem.
- Desiree Gharaei, Instagram Star, born in Iran.
- Marty Ingels, American comedian (I'm Dickens He's Fenster), who died at 79.
On this day in 2014
- Oscar Pistorius is sentenced to five years in prison for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
- Former Dr Feelgood guitarist Wilko Johnson said he has been "cured" of the terminal pancreatic cancer with which he was diagnosed in 2012. The 67-year-old was initially given 10 months to live after rejecting chemotherapy, but had radical surgery to remove the tumour earlier this year..
- Gough Whitlam, Australian politician (Prime Minister,1972-1975), who died at 98.
- Gough Whitlam, Politician.
- Ben Bradlee, American editor, journalist, newspaper executive (Washington Post), who died at 93.
On this day in 2013
- Sid Bernstein, the concert promoter who staged early US shows by The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, died aged 95.Bernstein booked The Beatles for their legendary show at Shea Stadium in New York in 1965, which was the first concert to be staged in a stadium. Bernstein also promoted the Fab Four's gigs at Carnegie Hall in New York on their first US tour in 1964. He also arranged The Rolling Stones first five US gigs and shows for Judy Garland, Ray Charles and Tony Bennett..
- The Parliament of Canada confers Honorary Canadian citizenship on women's rights and education activist Malala Yousafzai.
- Bud Adams Jr., American NFL team owner (Tennessee Titans), who died at 90.
- Major R Owens, American politician (Rep-D-NY,1983-2007), who died at 77.