October 31 Edition Go Back
Today in the World Countries
- Halloween is being celebrated in Canada
- Reformation Day is being celebrated in Chile, Slovenia
- Reformation Day (BB, HH, MV, NI, SH, SN, ST, TH) is being celebrated in Germany
Today in Astrology
- People born on this day are Scorpio as their zodiac sign.
Today in History
- Roly Dj, DJ, born in Barranquilla, Colombia.
- Seo Young, Illustrator, born in Seoul, South Korea.
On this day in 2022
- Taylor Swift becomes the first artist in history to claim all top 10 slots on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, all tracks from her album "Midnights".
- Alan "Froggy" Thomson, Australian cricket fast bowler (4 Tests,12 wickets; Victoria CA), who died at 76.
On this day in 2021
- World's largest solar farm goes live in Sirindhorn reservoir, Thailand, as a hydro-floating solar hybrid system the size of 70 football fields.
- Miguel Mena, Horse Jockey.
- Peter Philpott, Australian cricket spin bowler (8 Tests,26 wickets, best 5/90; NSW CA), who died due to complications from a fall at 86.
- Peter Philpott, Australian cricket spin bowler (8 Tests,26 wickets, best 5/90; NSW), who died due to complications from a fall at 86.
On this day in 2020
- England beats Italy 34-5 in Rome to clinch 29th Six-Nations Rugby Championship; halfback Ben Youngs becomes second England player to earn 100th test cap.
- New Zealand Rugby Union team routs Australia,43-5 in Sydney to retain Bledisloe Cup (2-1) for 18th straight series; Wallabies'largest ever defeat by All Blacks.
- Sir Sean Connery, Scottish actor and producer (James Bond films; Indiana Jones), who died at 90.
- Sean Connery, Movie Actor.
- Sean Connery, Scottish actor and producer (James Bond films, Indiana Jones), who died at 90.
- Rance Allen, American gospel singer and musician (Rance Allen Group - Miracle Worker), who died at 71.
- Rance Allen, Religious Leader.
- Marius Žaliukas, Lithuanian soccer centre back (25 caps; Hearts, Leeds, Rangers), who died from motor neurone disease at 36.
- MF Doom [Daniel Dumile], American rapper and hip hop artist, who died at 49.
- Mf Doom, Rapper.
On this day in 2019
- Jihadist group Islamic State names Abu Ibrahim al-Hashemi al-Qurashi as its new leader after US special forces kill its former leader.
- Fire destroys most of historic Shuri Castle, once seat of the Ryukyu Kingdom, on island of Okinawa, Japan.
- Gas canister explodes on a train in Rahim Yar Khan, Pakaistan killing at least 70 and injuring 30.
- US House of Representatives votes to formalize impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump.
- US House of Representatives votes to formalize impeachment proceedings against PresidentDonald Trump.
- US House of Representatives votes to formalize impeachment proceedings against President Trump.
- (Elizabeth) Ann Crumb, American stage and screen actress and singer, who died of ovarian cancer at 69.
On this day in 2018
- BLACKPINK become the first K-pop girl group to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 with multiple hits.
- In landmark verdict, Pakistani Supreme Court acquits Christian woman of blasphemy against the prophet Mohammed after eight years on death row.
- US and Great Britain call for a cease-fire in Saudi-led war in Yemen, in 3-year war that has claimed over 10,000 lives and created famine conditions.
- World's biggest statue, the Statue of Unity at 182m is unveiled of Indian independence leader Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in Gujarat state.
- Worlds biggest statue, the Statue of Unity is unveiled of Indian independence leader Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel at 182 meters in Gujarat state.
- Willow Banks, Family Member, born in United States.
- Willie McCovey, American Baseball Hall of Fame 1st baseman (6-time All Star), who died of an infection at 80.
- Willie McCovey, American Baseball Hall of Fame 1st baseman (6 x MLB All Star; NL MVP 1969; NL home run leader 1963,68,69; SF Giants), who died of an infection at 80.
- Teodoro Petkoff, Politician.
- Ron Grable, Race Car Driver.
- Hamdi Qandil, TV Show Host.
On this day in 2017
- John Kelly, White House Chief of Staff comments in TV interview that “the lack of an ability to compromise led to the Civil War", draws criticism.
- Judge on Maui, Hawaii orders man to write ex-girlfriend 144 compliments after violating protection order to send 144 nasty text messages.
- Takahiro Shiraishi arrested in Zama, Japan, a day after nine dismembered bodies found in his apartment.
- Terrorist attack in New York when a truck mows down people on a cycle lane, killing 8, injuring 10.
- Two men convicted of raping and impregnating their 10 year old niece in Chandigarh, India.
- Two men convicted of raping and inpregnating their 10 year old niece in Chandigarh, India.
On this day in 2016
- Lebanon parliament elects Michel Aoun President after 2 1/2 years without a leader.
- Cleo Amore Amiotonu, Instagram Star, born in Hawaii.
- Cleo Mae, Instagram Star, born in Hawaii.
- James Galanos, American fashion designer (Coty Hall of Fame 1959), who died at 92.
- Natalie Babbitt, American children's writer (Tuck Everlasting), who died of lung cancer at 84.
- Tammy Grimes, American stage actress (Unsinkable Molly Brown), who died at 82.
On this day in 2015
- Russian airliner crashes killing all 224 on board in Sinai Peninsula, Egypt - Russia's worst air disaster.
- One Direction played the final gig of their world tour before their self-proclaimed extended break. The show in Sheffield, England was the last of 80 shows across 20 countries. But 1D insisted they were not splitting up and instead wanted to focus on solo projects..
- 8th Rugby World Cup Final, Twickenham, London: All Blacks fly-half Dan Carter lands 4 penalties and 2 conversions as New Zealand defeats Australia,34-17.
- Breeders'Cup Horse Racing, Keeneland Racetrack; Day 2 winners: Songbird, Mongolian Saturday, Wavell Avenue, Stephanie's Kitten, Runhappy, Tepin, Nyquist, Found, American Pharoah.
- Gus Savage, American politician (Rep-D-IL,1981- 93), who died at 90.
- Gregg Palmer [Palmer Edvind Lee], American actor (Scream, To Hell & Back), who died at 88.
On this day in 2014
- Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas, Bobby Cox, Tony La Russa and Joe Torre are inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, NY.
- Breeders'Cup Horse Racing, Santa Anita Racetrack; Day 1 winners: Hootenanny, Goldencents, Lady Eli, Untapable.
- Ao, Instagram Star, born in Osaka, Japan.
- Emma Stauffer, Instagram Star, born in Arizona.
- Mila Stauffer, Instagram Star, born in Arizona.
- Käbi Laretei, Estonian-Swedish concert pianist, who died at 92.
- Jim Sauter, Race Car Driver.
On this day in 2013
- Marvin Gaye's family were taking legal action against Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams for copyright infringement over their hit song Blurred Lines. Three of Gaye's children filed legal papers accusing them of copying elements of the song 'Got To Give It Up'. The Gaye family cited excerpts of magazine interviews given by Thicke to support their claim he had admitted to drawing on 'Got to Give it Up' when producing Blurred Lines..